none
Forcing IE11 to open JPEG in a external program RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to define what program IE11 will use to open a JPEG? I know that you can download the JPEG but I would like to know if it could be defined in IE11 to open JPEGs in Paint or Photo viewer or some other external program.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 4:40 PM

Answers

• Actually found out that this was a very specific problem with a few users that just didn't want to right click on the JPEG and save to desktop. We didn't want to change this for the entire enterprise so told them they needed to suck it up.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi greatestcommonfactor,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that which system have you used?

I suppose that you are using Windows 7, if yes, it seems that there is an article related to it, please refer to the link:

JPEG and GIF Files Open in Internet Explorer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/135955

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:09 PM
  • It is Windows 7 and in the "Associate File Type with Program" a JPEG is set to open with Windows Photo Viewer but it still opens in IE11.  I should say that these JPEGs are hosted on a web server so that I probably the default behavior.  Client is looking to be able to open them in Photo viewer or Paint without having to download them to the computer.  This may not doable as unless the JPEG exists on the computer then Windows does not know what to open it.
    Monday, April 11, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,
    Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Actually found out that this was a very specific problem with a few users that just didn't want to right click on the JPEG and save to desktop. We didn't want to change this for the entire enterprise so told them they needed to suck it up.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 5:10 PM