Sequenced app won't launch external application (IE) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am new to App-V and we are currently in the process of implementing App-V into our Xenapp 6.5 environment.  We will be using App-V to sequence the applications that we originally had installed onto a Published Application server.  

The application that I'm having issues with right now is an app that our Collections dept uses.  There's a section of the application where the user can pull up an account and do an internet search on the persons info that is stored in the database.  When they launch this tool it grabs the person's name and info and launches Internet Explorer taking them to the website.

With this app published and running locally on a server this feature works fine.  However, when we have it sequenced and launched via App-V Internet Explorer will not launch.  When they click the button nothing happens.  The client they are running the application on has IE installed.  Normally this app launches IE from the machine/server that the software is installed on, but since it's a sequenced app it is not installed on a specific server.  However I would have assumed that it would still be able to use the local IE installation on the server that they have launched the App-V app on.  

I guess I'm just hoping someone has a suggestion on how to configure the application to know it can use the browser on the client that the sequenced app is running on.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• The application should indeed be able to leverage the locally installed IE. Not sure if this will help or not since I have not run into an issue like this since the Softgrid days but here's what I use to use when I ran a sequenced app on a server and the web help page would not work:

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/softgrid-presentation-server-internet-explorer-as-a-help-system/

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:28 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:58 PM
  • What indication does Process Monitor give you when you attempt to open IE from the virtualised application?

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:43 PM