2008 r2 hyper-v guest with static IP always looses network connectivity after every restart - no problem with DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are running 2008 R2 domain with one physical DC and other running in VM on Hyper-V host (2008 R2 Standard). The host has 4 NICs and is configured to use one physical NIC for itself (management) and the hyper-v guest is configured to use another dedicated/physical NIC (through microsoft virtual switch) just for itself.

I noticed that after setting the hyper-v guest with a static IP address all works fine only until guest restart. When the guest boots up the IP address is still configured correctly in IPv4 properties, but there is no network connectivity at all and in fact the guest shows running APIPA config in ipconfig /all output. That situation continues until I remove the virtual NIC from hyper-v guest, remove the virtual switch from dedicated NIC on host and then reconfigure it (using same settings as they were). very annoying.

For time being I switched the virtual DC (problematic hyper-v guest) to a DHCP IP and configured DHCP server (running on physical DC machine, not on hyper-v host) to store a reservation for the hyper-v guest so it always gets the same "static" IP configuration.

Is there some kind of a problem/bug with using static IP on (2008 R2) hyper-v guests? is there a hotfix for static IP config in hyper-v guest environment?

both 2008 R2 OSes (host and guest) are up to date with all updates (synced with Microsoft, not WSUS).

• Edited by Kuba_L Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:53 PM

Answers

• I am trying to do the same on my end. So far I stay puzzled ;)

Why would that work correctly only when the guest IP is set to DHCP and not to static IP config?

And where is the culprit, does the guest fail to initialize network on its end (for whatever reason, need to eyeball the logs), or rather the host fails to communicate the dedicated NIC availability to the guest ...

I guess I need another fresh guest to see if I can replicate the issue on it. wondering if vendor NIC driver on the host has anything to do with it ... may try installing older driver (current is latest as per HP).

I've had similar problems in the past, and if memory serves, this is what worked for me (I know you said you've tried deleting the NIC in the past, but again, I'm just trying to cover all bases here):

1. Configure Device Manager in the VM to show hidden devices (the article says it is for XP but it works on all Windows OS') https://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
    2. Delete all virtual NICs and when you delete the last one, also delete the driver when prompted.
    3. Shut down the VM.
    4. Remove the NIC from the VM settings.
    5. Start the VM with no NIC.
    6. Log in to the VM, then shut it down again.
    7. Add a NIC back to the VM.
    8. Start the VM again.
    9. Configure the new NIC with a static IP.
    10. Reboot and see if that resolves the problem.

HTH

• Marked as answer by Kuba_L Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:49 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:24 AM

All replies

• Hi fenixus,

Based on my research , please focus on the external virtual switch of the problematic VM.

Please try following steps for troubleshooting :

1. keep  driver of the NIC up-to-date

2. disable VMQ , tcp/ip offload , RSS on that external virtual switch

3.Configure static IP and restart the VM

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:05 AM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:02 AM
  • Hi fenixus,

Based on my research , please focus on the external virtual switch of the problematic VM.

Please try following steps for troubleshooting :

1. keep  driver of the NIC up-to-date

2. disable VMQ , tcp/ip offload , RSS on that external virtual switch

3.Configure static IP and restart the VM

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thanks for chiming in!

I tried nearly all of that already except for disabling VMQ and RSS on physical adapters. I had to disable all checksum offloads as the first thing, because file transfers were terribly slow.

physical NIC drivers are the latest from HP Support. The Host machine is Proliant ML350 Gen8, I use an integrated quad-port NIC.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:32 PM
  • OK, back in the office.

By saying External Virtual Switch you mean device properties of physical NIC acting as that virtual switch (running only Microsoft Virtual Switch protocol), correct?

I just checked on host OS the Advanced tab of HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter #4 (one I used as external virtual switch) and VMQ was already disabled, but the RSS was enabled, so I turned it off.

Other properties I had disabled in that window in past are:

-Ethernet@WireSpeed

-Large Send Offload IPv4

-TCP/UDP Checksum Offload IPv4

I see there is also on more Offload setting called ARP Offload which is enabled, should I turn it off too? Should I keep the Flow Control (Rx & Tx) enabled?

Closer to end of business day I will reconfigure the virtual DC to static IP address again and reboot it to see what happens to its network connectivity after restart.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:26 PM
  • no dice.

I changed the virtual DC IP address/mask/gateway to static (same values as dynamic settings), restarted the guest and again no network connectivity after reboot.

ipconfig /all shows the assigned IP address and subnet mask are APIPA while IPv4 properties show the correct configuration still ... what gives?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:35 PM
  • Is it possible that something else in the network has the same IP address?  I've had this happen in my lab from time to time.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Is it possible that something else in the network has the same IP address?  I've had this happen in my lab from time to time.

nope, not possible. this is a new IP address that was assigned for the first time ever to this VM guest and was never used on any computer in our network.

mind that it works perfectly in DHCP config (there is reservation for it) with zero problems on VM guest, but it fails in static mode after VM restart (works before VM restart).

I am totally puzzled by this.

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:58 PM
  • "not possible"  Glad to see your confidence in that statement.  After 40 years in this business, I'm not able to say that anymore. <grin>

Just to satisfy the curiosity of a decrepit, old bit-twiddler, have you tried any other fixed IP addresses?  They don't even have to be in your subnet for the test.

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:59 PM
  • "not possible"  Glad to see your confidence in that statement.  After 40 years in this business, I'm not able to say that anymore. <grin>

Just to satisfy the curiosity of a decrepit, old bit-twiddler, have you tried any other fixed IP addresses?  They don't even have to be in your subnet for the test.

haha, yeah I got your point :D ... and I feel that way about many things too LOL!

But honestly, there is no other device using this IP (that range was always reserved for servers and never used before in like 10 years), I'm positive.

also a confirmation is that once I switch the virtual NIC to DHCP lease it picks up that very same IP address (trough reservation) and starts working instantly and flawlessly and is able to live through restarts of guest OS without issues :)

to answer the question, yes I tried a different static IP with same result, doesn't live through restart, actually that's one of first things I stumbled upon with my Hyper-V guest server adventures a week ago, I was initially using a different static IP :)

After weekend, I will install another Hyper-V guest, some win7 enterprise evaluation edition and see if that one shows same symptoms. actually can install a whole range or test guests (win7x64, win8.1x64, WS2012R2) on this host and check them all. culprit could be on either end, virtual or physical.

However I have only 2 more dedicated spare NICs left on host, so one of those new ones will have to share connection with the host.

Another open possibility is that vendor NIC drivers on host are crippled somehow ... or there is something wrong (a bug) in WS2008R2 Hyper-V role component that needs a hotfix.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

If you have 4 NICs on the host machine. Assign a single NIC to the Guest Machine.

While you create a new external switch, uncheck the option Allow Management Operating System to share this adapter.

Once you do that assign the IP address to this New NIC and check if you have the same behavior.

If the problem still persists, delete the ghost adapters on the Virtual Machine.

Please share your findings.

Regards.

Sandeep Suman

Saturday, February 1, 2014 12:51 PM
  • I have a regular network box, it gets the DHCP job. I have explored various permutations of NIC configurations in VMs and the box remembers various MAC addresses so it will hold that assigned NAT address so that the DNS records do not have to be changed all the time.

Not all boxes are that sophisticated

What in the world is a "network box"? There is no such thing as a NAT address. DHCP itself is designed so that when a computer attempts to renew a DHCP address the broadcast it sends out requests the same IP address. This has nothing at all to do with the DHCP server remembering any MAC addresses.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 2:31 PM
  • in the box i use, the mac is listed with an assigned ip address in a table

the box identifies clients by mac

You still don't understand how DHCP works. The protocol is a standard and it works according to the standard. All DHCP servers work the same way, that's why it is called a "standard". There is nothing unique about the way your "box" implements DHCP. Providing technically incorrect information does not help anyone.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:51 PM
  • the box has a table, which is stores in memory

2 columms, mac and assigned ip address

mac is a lower level part of the tcp/ip stack

I know how DHCP works, the problem is that you do not, yet you feel qualified to offer advice on it. All you wind up doing is contributing to the confusion of those who come here for help.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Okay, let's ask for the output from ipconfig /all for the host and for the VM when it has DHCP address and when it has static.  No need to include the information on the tunnel adapters (makes for a slightly shorter post).

I have not heard of any hot fix in this area.  Whenever I have seen issues around networking, it has always comes down to some sort of configuration issue.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you have 4 NICs on the host machine. Assign a single NIC to the Guest Machine.

While you create a new external switch, uncheck the option Allow Management Operating System to share this adapter.

Once you do that assign the IP address to this New NIC and check if you have the same behavior.

If the problem still persists, delete the ghost adapters on the Virtual Machine.

Please share your findings.

Regards.

Sandeep Suman

That is precisely what I did in post #1 at top. static IP address on guest, revert to APIPA after restart, but the guest's IPv4 protocol properties stay normal and showing correct values.

In past I also tried the shared NIC connection (management host allowed on same NIC) with same result - static IP address on guest reverting to APIPA after restart.

I tried deleting adapters multiple times, no dice.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Okay, let's ask for the output from ipconfig /all for the host and for the VM when it has DHCP address and when it has static.  No need to include the information on the tunnel adapters (makes for a slightly shorter post).

I have not heard of any hot fix in this area.  Whenever I have seen issues around networking, it has always comes down to some sort of configuration issue.

in short, the ipconfig /all output onguest is same (static vs dynamic, running IP 192.168.1.5, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.254) when everything works, and different when static IP doesn't work, then the IP address is 169.254.x.x and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 while default gateway stays same (and correct).

Host output is always same (static) and doesn't ever change or gets affected.

On Monday can give more info.

• Edited by Kuba_L Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:49 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:39 PM
  • the box has a table, which is stores in memory

2 columms, mac and assigned ip address

mac is a lower level part of the tcp/ip stack

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

I understand what you are saying, and that stands true if somebody enables/disables frequently the NIC teaming on physical host, sometimes it breaks connectivity because switch remembers the ARP table and blocks traffic on NICs suddenly reporting different MAC addresses.

My hyper-v host server does not use network teaming however.

I think the ARP table on our L3 switch can't be a problem, because the MAC address for the NIC doesn't change no matter if I use the DHCP or static IP in guest... unless that is somehow blocking the guest after restart ... not sure how.

However, I am unsure if the virtual MAC the Hyper-V assigns to it truly stays same between DHCP config vs static (as configured in guest). still not sure why that would change after guest restart. worth looking into.

• Edited by Kuba_L Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:44 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:43 PM
  • OK, I'm not at the office now, but took my time to test out the restart scenarios on problematic virtual guest remotely.

No dice, same as it was, everything works fine after guest has IP configured in DHCP mode (IP reservation of 192.168.1.5 for specific MAC address) and it doesn't work after restart in static IP mode (same address, works before restart of guest).

I also took "arp -a" outputs at each step from host server and that was always saying there is only a single host (192.168.1.5 = VDC = problematic virtual guest) assigned to that IP address and always with same MAC, so that pretty much rules out ARP/MAC troubles and no issues with switches/routers getting spoofed. Problem is most likely with the virtual guest (WS2008R2) or within the host running same OS.

Here are outputs:

A) VDC has IP configured in DHCP mode - always same, survives through restart (all works)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : CD.lan
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-01-D3-00
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9af:6679:3142:8799%13(Preferred) 
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred) 
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:34:48 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 07, 2014 5:35:26 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.4.5
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268440925
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-6F-5F-C2-00-15-5D-01-D3-00
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

ARP -a output from host server at that time:

Interface: 192.168.1.4 --- 0xc
      Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
      192.168.1.5           00-15-5d-01-d3-00     dynamic  

B) VDC has IP configured in static mode - BEFORE RESTART (all works)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C) VDC has the same IP configured in static mode - AFTER RESTART (no more network connectivity at all, LAN in Public zone)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VDC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : CD.lan
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CD.lan

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.135.153(Preferred) 
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Throughout the testing, the hyper-v host IP configuration and IPconfig output was always staying same.

The Network Connection #2 is the only one the host uses (not shared with hyper-v guests).

The Network Connection #4 is assigned to Microsoft Virtual Switch hence why it doesn't show up in results, like below:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HYPER-V
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : CD.lan
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : CD.lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter #3
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-8E-99-52-15-91

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-8E-99-52-15-90
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dc78:8a3b:38a5:7af3%12(Preferred) 
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred) 
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 312250009
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-67-52-8F-9C-8E-99-52-15-93
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.4.5

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-8E-99-52-15-93

On Monday I will install more test guests in Hyper-V host (WS2008R2), in variety of flavors like 7x64, 8.1x64, ws2012r2, and see if they show similar problems with static IP configuration when utilizing a dedicated NIC from host server.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with virtual DC running on DHCP IP reservation (which is based on MAC), because the virtual DC pretty much requires a physical PDC (hosting also DHCP in my network) to be present for safety reasons ... however I prefer a static IP configuration on all servers, hence my question and surprise why it doesn't work.

• Edited by Kuba_L Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:23 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:07 PM
  • I tried NAT with every version of Windows from 98SE onwards, they can do NAT

if you are in need of teaming, might want to spend $$$$ on faster networking gear

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

your reply is irrelevant to the problem described in this thread.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:23 PM

• B) VDC has IP configured in static mode - BEFORE RESTART (all works)

Have you tried assigning a static IP address that isn't in the DHCP scope address range. That's not a very good practice in the first place.

• Edited by Paul Adare Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:06 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:24 PM
  • I tried NAT with every version of Windows from 98SE onwards, they can do NAT

if you are in need of teaming, might want to spend $$$$ on faster networking gear

This issue has nothing at all to do with either NAT nor teaming. You're just confusing the issue here.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:25 PM

• B) VDC has IP configured in static mode - BEFORE RESTART (all works)

Have you tried assigning a static IP address that isn't in the DHCP scope address range. That's not a very good practice in the first place.

yes, of course I have. In fact it was like that (didn't survive through restart) before I was forced to use a DHCP reservation for this server.

• Edited by Kuba_L Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:56 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:21 PM
  • yes, of course I have. In fact it was like that before I was forced to use a DHCP reservation for this server.

Just making sure that we're covering all possibilities.
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:52 PM
  • yes, of course I have. In fact it was like that before I was forced to use a DHCP reservation for this server.

Just making sure that we're covering all possibilities.

that's ok :)

I am trying to do the same on my end. So far I stay puzzled ;)

Why would that work correctly only when the guest IP is set to DHCP and not to static IP config?

And where is the culprit, does the guest fail to initialize network on its end (for whatever reason, need to eyeball the logs), or rather the host fails to communicate the dedicated NIC availability to the guest ...

I guess I need another fresh guest to see if I can replicate the issue on it. wondering if vendor NIC driver on the host has anything to do with it ... may try installing older driver (current is latest as per HP).

• Edited by Kuba_L Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:00 PM
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:56 PM

I've had similar problems in the past, and if memory serves, this is what worked for me (I know you said you've tried deleting the NIC in the past, but again, I'm just trying to cover all bases here):

1. Configure Device Manager in the VM to show hidden devices (the article says it is for XP but it works on all Windows OS') https://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
    2. Delete all virtual NICs and when you delete the last one, also delete the driver when prompted.
    3. Shut down the VM.
    8. Start the VM again.

HTH

• Marked as answer by Kuba_L Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:49 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:24 AM

3. Shut down the VM.
    8. Start the VM again.

HTH

thanks! that sounds interesting and actually I see the point of it. I haven't checked the hidden devices when removing NIC from VM in past (also did the virtual host removal step).

will try that procedure to the letter when I have a chance and let you know what happens.

• Edited by Kuba_L Sunday, February 2, 2014 7:26 AM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update. Shutdown the VM and navigate to the Network Card properties and assign static MAC to the Virtual Machine.

Regards.

Sandeep Suman

Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update. Shutdown the VM and navigate to the Network Card properties and assign static MAC to the Virtual Machine.

Regards.

Sandeep Suman

I don't think it matters at all, because the MAC address of virtual adapter is not changing dynamically.

Proof of that is above, same MAC address, no matter if using DHCP (here's a proof, DHCP reservation is based on MAC) and static IP no matter if working (before restart of VM) or not working (after restart of VM), in all cases the virtual MAC was same.

EDIT:

I just double-checked and actually the Virtual MAC was already set to static, must have done this before when troubleshooting initially.

• Edited by Kuba_L Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:37 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:27 PM

3. Shut down the VM.
    8. Start the VM again.

HTH

OK, here's what I did.

Logged on to VM through Hyper-V manager, released the DHCP lease from NIC, used show hidden devices devmgmt to uninstall the only NIC (there was no prompt to remove the driver however), then shut the VM down.

on Hyper-V, I removed dedicated NIC from virtual switch, then disabled the physical NIC to avoid network switches confusion, finally I assigned no network connection to VM in its settings and started it up.

Logged on without NIC, shut it down, returned to hyper-V, enabled the physical NIC and assigned it to virtual switch and used a static (default, same as before) MAC, booted the VM back up, set the static IP address, then in virtual driver properties I disabled all IPv4 Offloads (as I always do on ws2k8 OS to restore fast file transfers) ... all was working then, so I restarted the VM ... and ... IT WORKS AND LIVES THROUGH RESTART! :D

THANK YOU Paul! :)

EDIT:

Now I recall I have done this before, all of it actually including the hidden devices removal, but I haven't booted it up ever with no NIC assigned ... so it seems the trick was to actually boot the VM without NIC assigned at all, so it can clear up registries and then restart it with new virtual NIC assigned.

Either way, this excellent solution and thank you so much for helping me out and sharing your experience! Saved me lots of time in testing other virtual guest systems on hyper-v and possibly going through same issues, MUCH appreciated!

• Edited by Kuba_L Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:58 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 8:49 PM