No Sound from stored files in windows Media vista RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded a music file last week and an extension came up staying something like " windows does not recognize this file do you want to play anyhow" it worked, the file did not have any extension name other than "file". But now no other music/video file will play any sound though media 11. The speakers work in all other programs and I have even tested them using the "more option-devises-speakers-configure-test" option and the test Bing's to show the speakers work, also if I put a cd in the tray it will play all right. The only file that will play is the one I downloaded. I have virus tested it and it came back ok. I am lost what to do, I have done some research and installed the essential codec pack but this has done nothing. Any Ideas,

Thanks Andy Calvert

Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:13 PM

All replies

• No one?, take it that its not a common problem then?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:29 PM
  • If you have a system restore point set before this problem occured I woul just restore back to that point and see if that fixes the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by msspbm Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:26 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:28 PM
  • I haven't set one up, they get set automatically at different dates or not?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Yes, they are automatically created
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Cheers I googled system restore point, nice and easy took 2 minutes and I now have sound from media 11 :)
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:49 PM