none
Joining Windows 10 Pro to Windows Server

Question

• Has Microsoft developed a fix for joining Windows 10 Pro to Windows Server 2012 Esdsentials
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 10 is supported by Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

What is the error/problem had you met when joined Windows 10 to Essentials domain? Please provide more information/description.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Data of local account does not migrate to user profile created.  Microsoft technician says this is a known problem and Microsoft is working a fix.

Monday, September 18, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Been running 20 Windows 10 machine on Server 2012 Essentials for about 2 years with no real problems.

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

In general, you can take attention to below link about the details of Windows 10 update history, to obtain newest fix/update for Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi, I'm having problems connecting Windows 10 Pro computers to a Windows Server 2012 Essentials server as well. I can connect and download the Connector, but it fails to run. All the error message says is "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network".

I have managed to use the connector on a Windows 7 system, but Windows 10 -- No Way!

The computer is using the latest Windows 10 build. All updates are installed on both the computer and server, and the server is running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2.

I have also tried running the connector as "Administrator" - same problem. Also tried running it as 8  and 7 compatibility modes - still nothing!

Oh, and I get this message regardless of if I try running via Edge or Internet Explorer. And I've tried reading al the blogs about the issue, but most of those were started on 2014/15 when Windows 10 was just a twinkle in Microsoft's eyes!

Yes, guys, I have tried just about everything I can think of, and still can't get it to work!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to start or re-start WSS Certificate Web Service:
    1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    2. In the navigation pane, click WSS Certificate Web Service.
    3. In the Actions pane, click Start. If the Start is grey out(it is already started), click Restart.

If problem persists, I would recommend you to post a new thread for your question, and provide more information, such as below:
    1. Whether this problem also happens on other Windows 10 client?
    2. Log files such as Computerconnector.log and ClientDeploy.log  – “%ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\” on Windows 10 client.
    3. Event in Event Viewer.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Microsoft Technical support had told me that there is a known issue with connecting a Windows 10 Pro machine (current build) to Windows Server Essentials R2.  This was reported to me in May of this year.  As far as I know Microsoft id still working on a fix.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hello Microsoft, hello community,

I am having similar problems after upgrade of Clients to Windows 10:

1. The connection to the server got severed

2. <server>/connect does not work anymore  - the corresponding web service does not start due to
    a used-port issue. I had this problem before, unable to find the process that uses port 80. Changing to a

different port also did not work. The workaround used to be to download the client connector from microsoft.

This I also did for the Win 10 Pro clients (WSEClient.exe). This programm does not execute and gives no error message.

A related issue, really annoying, is that the upgrade radically erased the outlook accounts including the calendars of users.

I really appreciate any hint on how to solve the connector issue urgently as the clients currently run without a backup. I will have to go through the hassle of setting up local Backup solutions again if a solution from MS is not published soon.

Thanks you much in advance

Stefan

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Update: We are Running Server Essentials 2012, the clients are on the latest Win10 Build 1073

The Default Website including "Connect" does now start (the http service was using the port 80).

The client connector WSEClient.msi installed and I started the ClientDeploy.exe in the bin directory of C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin on the client. It finds the server but then stopps saying it cannot load information from the server.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:59 PM