none
Project 2013 w/ SP1: Ctrl-Z undoing all changes, not just last change RRS feed

• Question

• One of the managers in my organization is encountering a very frustrating issue when updating his schedule. Periodically when he uses Ctrl-Z to undo the last change made, Project is undoing every change hes made in that session. This has caused him to lose a significant amount of work because the "redo" option is not available after this happens (grayed out). 

We are using Project Server 2013 with SP1 installed on Project Server, SharePoint, and the Project Pro 2013 client. He is using the 32bit version of Project. 

Has anyone else encountered this issue before? I've searched online and haven't found any other reports of this issue. 

I'm going to dig deeper into this and try to make the issue reproducible. Currently it happens sporadically so it is even more frustrating as he is not sure what will happen each time he presses Ctrl-Z. 

For now I've recommended to him that he uses the Undo button instead of Ctrl-Z, and also uses the Undo history to go back to the specific change he wants, but I haven't received confirmation that this workaround works or not yet. 

Thank you for any help you can provide, I'll update this post if I determine how to reproduce the issue. 

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:11 PM

All replies

• clmar --

I cannot reproduce this project in Microsoft Project 2013 with SP1 installed.  I would be curious to hear what your user experiences if he clicks the Undo button instead of using Control + Z.  Does the Undo button undo everything as well?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi clmar,

I cannot reproduce your issue: CTRL-Z works perfectly for me, meaning that it just undo the last operation done in MS Project Pro 2013.

Which Project version are you using? Is this happening just for 1 user? Can the user reproduce this on another project or it is just happening on the same project?

Have your user tried to "redo" using CTRL-Y? This is not a fix, but when the issue happens again, this allows recovering undo changes.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for looking into this, we're running Project Server 2013 w/ SP1 applied to Server, SharePoint, and Project Pro 2013 32bit. 

So far I've only had one user report this issue to me, but I don't know for sure that it is isolated to just them. Unfortunately the problem is seemingly random, we're trying to reproduce it now but haven't had any luck there. 

I'll recommend they try CTRL-Y to redo if it occurs again. 

If no one else has seen this issue then i'd have to assume the issue is related to his hardware, I'll check with the other users to see if anyone else has seen this issue. 

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. 

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Hi clmar,

If it occurs to be an hardware issue as it seems to be, you could try to repair user's MS Project Pro going to the control panel.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi, This is not hardware issue what a ridiculous conclusion, I'm a PM and have the same issue with brand new Project 2013 CTRL+Z just cuts at least about 10 rows and deletes it so you cannot even use CTRL+Y. This is Project 2013 Standard.

Try to work on some lines a bit then use CTRL+Z. I save every new row in that case as I have a habbit to use CTRL+Z this is annoying Microsoft bug.

Regards

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Djwawa--

Please note that you are all volunteers that take on our spare time to kindly help the Project community. Thus there are no ridiculous conclusion, we are just trying to understand concerns and propose various tracks to help Project users to solve issues.

Hope you'll find a solution for your issue.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Proposed as answer by Sivakash Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sivakash Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:41 PM
  • I too had the same problem and it was really frustrating to redo lot of stuff.

I finally got around this problem by enabling Auto save every 5 minutes.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:25 AM
  • I am having this occur on MS Project Pro 2010 on one PC but NOT another PC.  Very frustrating issue.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:41 PM