none
“Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am logging in with an administrator account. I get this message

Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.....

The theme changes to windows classic. Boot time is long. I have tried the folloeing

1. Tried netsh Winsock reset and reboot. does not work

2. Tried system restore. Does not work.

If I check services , System Event Notification Service shows running. So does themes service.If I restart themes service the Aero interface come back. I am using Windows Vista SP2.

No problem of such kind in safe mode.

Help please.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I assume certain program launched upon startup process caused conflict with the services. Let us prepare clean boot to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 29, 2011 8:40 AM

All replies

• >>>>>The theme changes to windows classic

>>>>>If I restart themes service the Aero interface come back.

So, what is the problem ?
    Am I missing something you wrote ?

>>>>>System Event Notification Service shows running
    Make sure it says Automatic under Startup Type.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:57 PM
  • >>>>>The theme changes to windows classic

If you have both System Event Noti and Theme set at

Status .................Started
    Startup type ........ Automatic

then please try this, if you have not done so ......

Right click on an open space of desktop > Personalize > Window Color and Appearance > under Color scheme, select Windows Aero > Apply > wait > OK

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:03 PM
  • sorry i missed to mention. If i Reboot the prblem reappears. I look at both the services then both show start up as Auto and Status as Started. At this stage if i try to personalize desktop color scheme then aero is not available. only windows classic is available. Then I restart the themes service every thing goes back to normal untill reboot.

thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:33 PM
  • sorry i missed to mention. If i Reboot the prblem reappears. I look at both the services then both show start up as Auto and Status as Started. At this stage if i try to personalize desktop color scheme then aero is not available. only windows classic is available. Then I restart the themes service every thing goes back to normal untill reboot.

thanks

Thank you. That clears up my puzzlement.

>>>Then I restart the themes service every thing goes back to normal untill reboot.

I don't have a definitive answer.
    Try this ......
    After you restart the Theme service and everything goes back to normal > make a restore point.
    If after a reboot, the problem reappears, do a system restore using that newly created restore point.
    Assuming it is back to normal again. Now, reboot again. Same old problem or no more problem ?

If you still have the same old problem, suggest that you do a system file check.

Start button > search box type cmd > look up, RIGHT click on cmd.exe > click Run As Administrator > in that black and white cmd window, type at the flashing prompt sfc /scannow > press ENTER key.
    Note : there is a Space between "sfc" and "/".
    Sit back and wait. It will take some time.
    When done, exit cmd window.
    Reboot ( re-start your computer )

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

I assume certain program launched upon startup process caused conflict with the services. Let us prepare clean boot to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 29, 2011 8:40 AM
  • Hi I had the same and I did all the steps that you did but everytime that I was rebooting again the same problem then I checked my proceses with a software called Soluto which measures the booting time and I realized that the computer took 4 minutes more than normal to restart and  I saw that there was a process that was taking so long time and it was "Windows Font Cache" I made a little research and I discovered that this cache has a all the configuration of your aero and all the graphics from the computer, so every time that you restart the computer takes this cache to start the session with thess parameters.

So I just went to the folder in windows 7 where the font cache is and I move the files to the desktop and I restarted and the computer reduces the booting time again normal 2 min and it generated a new cache with the default settings so now the error message is gone and everything seems normal.

Its 3 am in the morning for me tomorrow I will post more details the solution

googd luck

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:06 AM
  • I am having the same problem and I am very tired of it to. What is the name of the folder in Windows 7 where the font cache is kept and what is the path to get to it.
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:33 PM