Sep Updates fails on Server 2008 R2 and w7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with one Server 2008R2.

The server is part of group of 5 that are patched monthly for years.

I spent a good time for fixing but no luck...

Here is update log file and couple of screenshots. 3 updates fails. I tried one by one. The same result.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlgixHfIt1WggKoqgb?e=1TCj5E

I deleted/recreated softwaredistribution... nothing helps. Also, I have the same behaviour on Windows 7 machine (the same exact error). Tried to fix with diag utility. NO GO.

Please see the log and may be some advise.

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, please check if the client in question has the following updates installed:

1. KB4474419
      SHA-2 code signing support update for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008: August 13, 2019

2. KB4490628
      Servicing stack update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1: March 12, 2019
      (Or SSU after the date of this release.)

If one of these is not installed, SHA-2 signed updates won't be accepted and the error is thrown instead.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:25 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:04 AM

All replies

• Restart the server and check the server.

If that is not success after reboot the server, delete download folder in "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"

Check updates. If it's failed again, please run Windows update troubleshooter on the device,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

You can go to update catalog site and download updates manually and try to install,

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

This may be helpful,

https://bodkhearun.blogspot.com/2015/08/windows-updates-issues-on-server-2008.html

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, please check if the client in question has the following updates installed:

1. KB4474419
      SHA-2 code signing support update for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008: August 13, 2019

2. KB4490628
      Servicing stack update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1: March 12, 2019
      (Or SSU after the date of this release.)

If one of these is not installed, SHA-2 signed updates won't be accepted and the error is thrown instead.
    Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:25 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:04 AM
  • Yic, I one of the blogs related to the same problem KB4474419 was mentioned as necessary.

Since, you added 4490628, I downloaded and installed it on server.

After that I successfully installed 4516065 (September Cumulative).

I can not restart the server until Monday. But hope that the problem is fixed.

I cannot access W7 machine. Will do it next week.

What is interesting that both updates are approved on WSUS.

So why this server "bypassed" 4490628 is the mystery. And then could not install 4516065. Others 2008 servers had no issue.

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hi Pod579,

The KB4490628 knowledge article mentions:

• After you install a servicing stack update together with other updates, a restart may be required to complete the installation. During this restart, you may find yourself stuck at a particular stage and see a "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3" message.
    • In managed environments, such as by using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), you can avoid this issue by deploying this update as a standalone update.

I recommend that you approve this update separately, which will resolve the skipped issue.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, September 27, 2019 12:56 AM
  • > I recommend that you approve this update separately, which will resolve the skipped issue.

I didn't get that... how to approve separately?

It is approved already.

I will restart the server Monday morning. And will see from the console how it behaves.

Friday, September 27, 2019 2:45 PM
  • the installation of KB4490628  

solved all the troubles with September updates.

Please explain:

> I recommend that you approve this update separately, which will resolve the skipped issue.

Monday, September 30, 2019 6:46 PM