Windows XP Sp3 & IE8 -- Error Opening .asp page on a local machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Windows XP SP3 with IE8. I have an application which saves .asp pages from the server to a local machine. These local files are then utilized to open the application in a cached mode when the network is down.

With IE8, I found that .asp local page doesn't render the web page and displays the code instead.

I tried with a very simple "hello world" html content but saving it as a .asp file and I could replicate the issue.

This used to work fine with IE6.

Anyone has an idea if there is an issue with IE8?

Thanks,

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Reset IE as your default browser.

or

edit your registry and inspect the 'opener' for .asp file extensions on your machines.

or

use the file: protocol to open the local file...

Rob^_^

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:15 PM
  • I did not have .asp file extensions mapping to Internet Explorer in IE6 as well.

Another thing I noticed is the dll version of mshtml.dll. I see this issue on machines with mshtml.dll version of 8.0.6001.18702 whereas it works fine on the machines with a DLL version higher than that.

I feel that it is a browser issue which got fixed later on. But I tried to find the patch which has the fix for it but could not locate it.

How can I find out the exact patch number which may have this fix?

Thanks,

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:14 PM
  • I did not have .asp file extensions mapping to Internet Explorer in IE6 as well.

FWIW I still don't, even in IE11 (on W8.1).   E.g.  assoc  .asp  works but  ftype  aspfile  doesn't.   In the registry aspfile indirectly involves scrrun.dll  only.  I would wonder if you need to have  IIS   installed?   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:46 PM
    Answerer
  • It used to work fine in IE6 without any IIS on the local machine. The issue has started appearing only after we upgraded the browser to IE8.

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest we try to reinstall IE 8 and then install all related update for IE 8 to check the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us 

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"

When you remove Internet Explorer 8, your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored with your customizations (such as add-ins, Favorites, and your home page).

Then reinstall IE8.

Please read and follow carefully:

"HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems":

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/9c5f373e-7667-4d6c-aa10-84185dccf887

Then please run Windows update to get all IE updates to check the issue:

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:58 AM