Exchange 2007 SCR deployment (Site Resilience) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i want to deploy SCR for exchange 2007 , can u please help me with the pointers Below is my setup ..

Currently there is a Site A in place with two DC's DataCenter Primary and Secondary .

Now i need to deploy SCR in new Site (different location) so I can create a Passive Passive mailbox for new DC-DR in Site B as this is a totally a new site but what needs to be done for CAS and hub site resilience , what all changes needs to be look for with current setup and how can we accomplish this . Any URL's or Links which i can talk help from or anybody deployed this kind of scenario.. Thanks in Advance ..

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:24 PM

Answers

• You can use the same SAN certificate, as long as you understand that you will need to change the DNS to point to the DR site in your DR failover steps.  This is just one of the things that makes Exchange 2007 SCR DR failover more complex.  Making the DNS updates will help in getting your CAS and hub systems in the new site so they are handling any new email.

Keep in mind that failing back after an SCR DR failover means reseeding your primary site servers (not just re-enabling them) from your DR server.  This means you can't test DR without major issues failing back to the primary site.  Another of the major issues with Exchange 2007 site resiliency that was improved (greatly) in the later versions.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, May 8, 2015 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, May 8, 2015 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:37 PM

All replies

• It's been a very long time since I worked with Exchange 2007 redundancy, but I think all you need to do is configure your databases for SCR into the DR server(s).

That being said, actually implementing failover in an SCR configuration is much more complex than in the newer Exchange versions.  Considering the age of your application, I'd highly recommend that instead of considering adding an SRC node to give a complex failover capability to your existing infrastructure, that you consider deploying Exchange 2013 with a DAG that stretches between the two datacenters.  I know it would require upgrading your infrastructure, but in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the associated costs.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for your input will, but here requirement is something like that only , true i can deploy new mailbox servers (passive-passive) in new site called B , but can you help me with CAS and HUB server resiliency i know there wil be a new site and with all new IP's so while deploying the CAS can we use the SAME SAN certificate and we might be need to change the IP address also in DNS to complete site failover.  ANy help will be gr8 help thanks ..
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:43 PM
  • You can use the same SAN certificate, as long as you understand that you will need to change the DNS to point to the DR site in your DR failover steps.  This is just one of the things that makes Exchange 2007 SCR DR failover more complex.  Making the DNS updates will help in getting your CAS and hub systems in the new site so they are handling any new email.

Keep in mind that failing back after an SCR DR failover means reseeding your primary site servers (not just re-enabling them) from your DR server.  This means you can't test DR without major issues failing back to the primary site.  Another of the major issues with Exchange 2007 site resiliency that was improved (greatly) in the later versions.

• Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, May 8, 2015 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:37 PM