Windows Media Center will not open. RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a HP Pavillion computer running Windows Vista Service Pack 2.  When I first used the computer media center did work.  But this is what happens now that I try and start it:

The computer asks me if I want to allow ehshell.exe to run.  I select allow and nothing happens.  It appears to me I hve vital parts of this program missing on my system for one reason or another. 

I am wondering if there is a way to redown load the program.  My ultimate goal is to use this with my XBox 360.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description, it sounds you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, this is a normal feature from UAC. If it isn't, could you tell us the exact error message?

First of all, I would suggest run Windows Media Center from the source folder.  The default location is :

C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe

Then double click “ehshell.exe” to launch Window Media Center from there and see if it works. If Windows Media Center can be open, please right click this application and click Pin to Start menu.

If it can be launched this way, access to windows media center had been disallowed by program defaults, please go to control panel, default programs, Set program Access and Computer Defaults->custom, check the box before enable access to this program.

Otherwise, if Windows Media Center can’t be initialized neither, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    Refer the following link for more information:
    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Meanwhile, if this issue occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, it sounds you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, this is a normal feature from UAC. If it isn't, could you tell us the exact error message?

First of all, I would suggest run Windows Media Center from the source folder.  The default location is :

C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe

Then double click “ehshell.exe” to launch Window Media Center from there and see if it works. If Windows Media Center can be open, please right click this application and click Pin to Start menu.

If it can be launched this way, access to windows media center had been disallowed by program defaults, please go to control panel, default programs, Set program Access and Computer Defaults->custom, check the box before enable access to this program.

Otherwise, if Windows Media Center can’t be initialized neither, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    Refer the following link for more information:
    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Meanwhile, if this issue occurs recently, system restore can be under consideration.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:58 AM
  • This is what I came up with then I ran "sfc scannow"

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files bule was unable to fix some of them. 

Details included in th CDB.LOg windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log"

I have saved the log from this list scan but makes no sense to me.  Can you still help?  I am afraid if I restore everythiny I will lose too much.

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:33 PM
  • thnks.........
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:05 AM