Windows Explorer freezes (after Right Click) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft Technet,

I'm having a problem with Windows Explorer (as well as the Desktop). Any time I right click in Windows Explorer (or the Desktop), the hour-glass (well, the Windows 7 equivalent) symbol comes up and won't end. Basically Windows Explorer freezes (same with the Desktop). Windows Task Manager is basically the only thing that can end the process. Clicking File in Windows Explorer also freezes Windows Explorer.

Does anyone have any idea of the problem? I cannot look up a file's property whatsoever. I'm using Windows 7.
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:09 AM

Answers

• So I've downloaded ShellExView and have disabled quite a few context menus. Indeed it has fixed the problem!

Which one, I'm not sure ... I'm assuming TortoiseSVN right now, which I've been using in order to sync several files with some friends. I'm not sure though, since it was working just fine a few days ago. I'll report the issue once I've found it.

• Edited by MattH4 Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, May 19, 2014 3:23 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:06 PM

All replies

• The problem could be a problematic third party context menu handler.

The following link has some info and a download to ShellExView which you can use to selectively disable third party context menu handlers to find out a problematic one:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

You could try disabling all non-Microsoft context menu handlers and then, if the problem resolves, re-enable them one at a time to see which one was the problem.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:26 AM
  • So I've downloaded ShellExView and have disabled quite a few context menus. Indeed it has fixed the problem!

Which one, I'm not sure ... I'm assuming TortoiseSVN right now, which I've been using in order to sync several files with some friends. I'm not sure though, since it was working just fine a few days ago. I'll report the issue once I've found it.

• Edited by MattH4 Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, May 19, 2014 3:23 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:06 PM
  • OK, good luck!

TortoiseSVN may be the issue as similar issues have been reported with this software such as here.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:41 PM