Permissions issue in APP-5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I sequenced an application using Appv 5.1. When I install this package on client, I see no permissions are granted even though I tick the option during sequencing. Where as in Appv 4.6 , if we untick ESD (Enforce Security descriptor) , permissions used to come , and admins can open the virtual bubble to modify something.

So please advise how it can be achieved in the appv 5.1? Can we use Cacls.exe to grant modify access to USERS group? Is this is a right way of doing ? Please advise.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:05 PM

Answers

• No more carrying of permissions with AppV 5. If you have enabled Full Write Permissions to VFS & made your application to keep all the application assets in VFS then AppV Client will be able to modify any files when required & stores in the COW Locations

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

What are you doing in the application that requires 'USERS' permissions?

Starting with AppV 5.0SP2 HF4 there is a feature called 'Allow applications full write permissions to the virtual file system'.  You enable this feature during sequencing.  What this does is redirect all file writes to your user profile (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS).  Because this folder resides in the user's profile all permissions related to the user apply.  The defaults are the user has OWNER permissions which means they have full read/write permissions to the files that are redirected.  Thus, enabling this feature *should* resolve any 'file-system' level permissions issues you may have with an application.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:34 PM

All replies

• No more carrying of permissions with AppV 5. If you have enabled Full Write Permissions to VFS & made your application to keep all the application assets in VFS then AppV Client will be able to modify any files when required & stores in the COW Locations

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

What are you doing in the application that requires 'USERS' permissions?

Starting with AppV 5.0SP2 HF4 there is a feature called 'Allow applications full write permissions to the virtual file system'.  You enable this feature during sequencing.  What this does is redirect all file writes to your user profile (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS).  Because this folder resides in the user's profile all permissions related to the user apply.  The defaults are the user has OWNER permissions which means they have full read/write permissions to the files that are redirected.  Thus, enabling this feature *should* resolve any 'file-system' level permissions issues you may have with an application.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Hi, Thank you. Yes it does redirect to 'C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS' . But upon next shortcut launch it is not referring the above location. Hence whatever configuration changes I made, it is not picking up from above folder, it is still referring to root folder where my actual confuration entires are not present. Please advise.
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:12 AM
  • Thanks Trentent. But here the problem is, whatever changes made is only user specific. What if a user wants to change a file at system level , so that who ever user logs in they can see the modified information. Is this not possible with Appv 5.1 ? Earlier in App-V 4.6, we used to get this done via ESD. Please advise.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:28 AM
  •                

Thanks Vinod. But here the problem is, whatever changes made is only user specific. What if a user wants to change a file at system level , so that who ever user logs in they can see the modified information. Is this not possible with Appv 5.1 ? Earlier in App-V 4.6, we used to get this done via ESD. Please advise.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:29 AM