none
difference if we create OU-security group link a GPO policy and directly link security group

Question

• What is difference if we create OU-security group link  a GPO policy and directly link security group (just select security group in security filtering section)

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:30 AM

Answers

• Thanks you mean to say GPO cannot be directly apply to security group? 

No they cannot

it is possible to make work? in windows 2012 R2 server

No the same rules apply regardless os the server OS

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Hi Jumpav,

As Alex answered, using only Security Groups, thats not the way how GPO works. Its been like this from long time and havn't changed.

You need to link the GPO to somewhere (Domain,OU,Site) to work.

Link a Group Policy object to a site, domain, or organizational unit

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:43 AM

All replies

• Hi JUmpav,

What do you mean by "OU-security group link".

In addition to limiting the users based on the OU where the GPO is applied\linked, Security filtering is a way of refining which users and computers (in that OU) will receive and apply the settings in a Group Policy object (GPO).

Group Policies are only applied to Users and Computers and cannot be applied to Groups, as shown in the article, if you only apply Security Filtering and don't do a OU\Domain... linking the GPO will not work.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Wednesday, July 15, 2015 11:07 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 11:05 AM
  • Thanks you mean to say GPO cannot be directly apply to security group? security filter section select only security group it will not work? it is possible to make work? in windows 2012 R2 server
    • Edited by jumpav Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:57 PM
  • Thanks you mean to say GPO cannot be directly apply to security group? 

No they cannot

it is possible to make work? in windows 2012 R2 server

No the same rules apply regardless os the server OS

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Hi Jumpav,

As Alex answered, using only Security Groups, thats not the way how GPO works. Its been like this from long time and havn't changed.

You need to link the GPO to somewhere (Domain,OU,Site) to work.

Link a Group Policy object to a site, domain, or organizational unit

Regards,

Satyajit

Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:43 AM