none
Project Manager Gets Error Opening Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am the Project Server Administrator for my company. One of my Project Managers has recently encountered an error opening his project in PWA for editing in Project Professional. He gets the error shown below. He has been opening the project successfully for months, and only saw this error in the last couple of days. Any help is appreciated.

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:09 PM

Answers

• - Try clearing your project professional cache and opening it again. Follow steps below:

File --> Options --> Save at the bottom you will find "clean up cache.." Button. Clean up the project cache. 

Try opening the projects it should be fine. 

Just in case if this doesn't work

Open Project Professional pointing to Server and use browse option it should open without an issue. 

--------------------------------------------------

Mark as answer if tip helped you resolve your issue.

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Steve.Pierce Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:49 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

A few questions:

1. Which Project Server version are you using?
    2. Can the user open the project in PWA and publish it through the web?
    3. Can other users open the given project in Project Pro?
    4. Can the given PM open another project in Project Pro?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:19 PM
  • Steve --

Is the PM opening this project as an enterprise project from Project Server?  If so, I would strongly suspect that this project is fatally corrupted.  If he/she simply cannot open it, you will need to restore this project using the Administrative Restore feature in Project Server, assuming that you are using the automatic Administrative Backup feature in Project Server to do a daily backup of each enterprise project.  Hope this helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 15, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Guillaume,

Thanks for your response. Please see my answers below

1. We are using Project Server 2010 and Project Professional 2010
    2. I will need to check with the user
    3. I can open the project from PWA for editing in Project Pro. The user can open the project from the enterprise project list in Project Pro.
    4. The user has ownership rights to only one project, so he cannot open other projects read-write.
    Friday, May 15, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for your response. This is an enterprise project from Project Server. And yes, we do administrative backups daily.

The reason I do not believe the project is corrupt is that I can open it from PWA for editing in Project Pro, and the user can open it from within Project Pro; he just cannot open it from PWA.

Friday, May 15, 2015 6:26 PM
  • It looks like an IE issue. Try to set PWA in the IE compatibility sites, and also the trusted site. Then just refresh IE pressin CTRL F5 and tell us if it helps.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Hi Steve,

One other thing to check is if the users has any Office 07/13 etc. components installed! It may be the case that an update has been installed on the client machine that interfered with MS Project 2010.

Also, check if there are any group policies enabled (or maybe the user changed the setting himself) that specifies the default opening program for mpp files

Hope this helps

Paul 

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:52 AM
  • - Try clearing your project professional cache and opening it again. Follow steps below:

File --> Options --> Save at the bottom you will find "clean up cache.." Button. Clean up the project cache. 

Try opening the projects it should be fine. 

Just in case if this doesn't work

Open Project Professional pointing to Server and use browse option it should open without an issue. 

--------------------------------------------------

Mark as answer if tip helped you resolve your issue.

Regards,

Faizan.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Steve.Pierce Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:49 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 2:04 PM
  • Faizan,

Thanks for your reply. I have asked the PM to clear his cache and will let you know if this works.

Steve

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Faizan,

Clearing cache solved the problem. Thank you.

Steve

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:50 PM