none
Deployment of Surface Pro 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

Can someone explain to me how best to deploy windows 8.1 on surface pro using MDT. 

I have read on different forums that the firmware needs to be updated before starting the deployment. Does it means that i need to start the surface pro, create an accounts, check for firmware updates and install them before actually starting a deployment.

I have at the moment downloaded the latest firmware and drivers and imported the drivers to MDT.

Thanks,

Mil

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Mil,

I've experienced in prior tablet deployments that tablets indeed have firmware updates that can be installed. If you have acquired the latest software out there including firmware updates. These can be installed during the deployment of the tablet. In case you reinstall tablets which already have the new firmware installed, this for example can be queried with WMI, the WMI query can be set as a condition on the step that installs the firmware, that if the firmware meets a certain version, the installation is either skipped or executed.

That would pretty much be it!

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by MilSak Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Mil,

I've experienced in prior tablet deployments that tablets indeed have firmware updates that can be installed. If you have acquired the latest software out there including firmware updates. These can be installed during the deployment of the tablet. In case you reinstall tablets which already have the new firmware installed, this for example can be queried with WMI, the WMI query can be set as a condition on the step that installs the firmware, that if the firmware meets a certain version, the installation is either skipped or executed.

That would pretty much be it!

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by MilSak Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:02 AM
  • The cool thing about the Surface Pro 3 is that it's firmware is encapsulated, meaning you can inject it as a driver when the system first boots.  If you have imported your latest drivers and firmware for the device, you can deploy it and have it inject all files from the SP3 cab.   When it first boots, if the firmware is relevant, it will automatically apply it before the system loads -- you can actually see this phase where the boot screen is seen and the system states please wait while updates are applied.   

Note that you need a Surface Pro Ethernet to PXE deploy to the device, there are some pieces built into the devices firmware that allow it to boot to that specific adapter. 

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:04 PM