none
Is there a way to use a dynamic mdx query to pass a parameter to Excel Services? RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a number of excel services analyses that can be accessed via dashboard pages.  The analyses use a date dimension as a parameter.  The behavior I want is for the analyses to be parameterized with the latest month.  I can create a filter with mdx behind it and then link that result to the parameter in the analysis.  I don't, however, want to have to see that filter on my dashboard pages. 

Possible approaches -

1) Can you hide a dashboard filter on a page?  The default properties don't let you resize to 0 pixels x 0 pixels nor can I find a way to hide a dashboard filter.

2) Can I use an MDX query to dynamically paramaterize and excel services parameter

Thanks!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• I would just setup a last month or latest month member in your date dimension as a calculated member in the cube or based off an attribute in your date dimension.  You would then just place that in the background for each of your Excel PivotTable or PivotChart files.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Dan,
    Thanks for the quick reply.  Your answer accomplishes part of what I would like to do (having the pivot tables default to the latest period.  The thing is that I just want them to default to that period, not be limited to that period.  (I want the user to still be able to select another period for the analysis.  I just want to make sure they always get the latest period as a place to start.) 

Bill Spencer
    Monday, November 2, 2009 2:34 PM