none
Exchange Server on Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We are considering deploying Exchange servers on an Azure VM, but the official documentation states that the only supported configuration is the following:

"Deployment on Microsoft Azure virtual machines is supported if all storage volumes used for Exchange databases and database transaction logs (including transport databases) are configured for Azure Premium Storage."

What should we understand by that? That if we don't put on Premium storage, we cannot install Exchange? Or we won't get any official support in case of any issues (with Exchange or our VM)?

We would like to ask Microsoft directly, but the Azure ticketing is purely for technical AD and other things :(

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Amaris_MessTeam,

You may could install Exchange in on Azure VM successfully, however, it isn't the setting that Microsoft suggests. Microsoft supports Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019 in production on hardware virtualization software only when those conditions are true.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:51 AM

All replies

• Unless something's changed recently, I believe you can still install it, you just won't get any support. That said, I haven't seen many Exchange installs in Azure because the cost is outlandish - most orgs just go with O365.

If you end up going forward with it, let us know how it goes!

My Blog: http://exchangeitup.net My Twitter: http://twitter.com/ExchangeITup

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:23 PM
  • Hi Amaris_MessTeam,

You may could install Exchange in on Azure VM successfully, however, it isn't the setting that Microsoft suggests. Microsoft supports Exchange 2016 and Exchange 2019 in production on hardware virtualization software only when those conditions are true.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:51 AM