Windows XP long login problem (15 minutes +) Please Help! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a lot of issues with our Windows XP SP3 machines (about 5, but every week another gets on the bandwagon of this issue).  They take forever (15 minutes) to apply the user settings once our employee's enter their username and password to login to our domain. 

Here are things I have tested:

• Made sure the DNS was set to point to our two servers (Sever01 runs 2008 and Server02 runs 2008 R2).
    • No major changes have been applied to our network. 
    • All profiles are local, so I have deleted out local profiles that aren't being used on those machines that run slow.
    • Also I have tried to enable and disable the Enable Fast Login under the local machines GP.  It was not configured originally and when I tested both, it made the computer hang on "applying computer settings" for about 15 minutes.  When it finally came up to the login screen the it was very quick to login to the domain.  However this doesn't fix my issue, and even more frustrating upon setting it back to being not configured it now still takes for forever to apply computer settings.
    • I enabled the userenv log and here is what I see, but my experience is limited and I'm not sure how to read it exactly.  (see below for log, this isn't the whole thing because it's really long)

USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 LoadUserProfile: LoadUserProfileP succeeded
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 LoadUserProfile:  Returning success.  Final Information follows:
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 lpProfileInfo->UserName = <ceastman>
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 lpProfileInfo->lpProfilePath = <>
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 lpProfileInfo->dwFlags = 0x0
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:843 LoadUserProfile: Returning TRUE. hProfile = <0x818>
    USERENV(2ec.2f0) 10:50:41:984 IsSyncForegroundPolicyRefresh: Synchronous, Reason: NonCachedCredentials
    USERENV(2ec.248) 10:50:41:984 IsSyncForegroundPolicyRefresh: Synchronous, Reason: NonCachedCredentials
    USERENV(3c4.3dc) 10:51:26:166 LibMain: Process Name:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    USERENV(2ec.5cc) 11:05:08:741 ProcessGPOs: network name is 192.168.49.0
    USERENV(4a8.888) 11:05:08:804 GetProfileType:  Profile already loaded.
    USERENV(4a8.888) 11:05:08:804 LoadProfileInfo:  Failed to query central profile with error 2
    USERENV(4a8.888) 11:05:08:804 GetProfileType: ProfileFlags is 0

Also this error is in the file quite a lot: 

USERENV(328.5bc) 11:05:29:733 GetUserDNSDomainName: Failed to impersonate user
    USERENV(328.834) 11:05:29:733 ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5.

I'm really not sure what else to do with my limited experience, but I'm hoping someone can help me.  I feel like I'm dealing with an issue way above my level and any knowledge I can gain out of getting this issue fixed would be amazing!!!

Emily Pinkerton

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:20 PM

All replies

• Need some info. When you said "every week another gets on the bandwagon of this issue". Do you mean the problem usually happens when the machine was first powered up and user tries to login right away, but NOT when the PC was already up for a while and the user tries to login?

Two things I can think of,

1. If it happens regardless if the PC was just powered on or not. A large number of GPOs or slow link could be the problem. you could " disable Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon Policy" and/or  set the slow link policies:

Slow link:
    =======
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Group Policy slow link detection policy
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Slow network connection timeout for user profiles

2. If the problem only happens when the PC was first powered on, but NOT after it's on and sits there for a while. Talk to your network admin to check the switch ports to see if portfast is enabled. It's for spanning tree check which is not required for the ports connected to end user devices. I did see a few minutes delay with this setting on switch port, but don't recall over 10 minutes. so this may not be your case.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:42 AM
  • another thing. are the server01 and server02 the dns on the DC itself? If not, please make sure use the DNS on the DCs.

from your log, it could be GPO issue, DNS service record issue and/or network issue.

based on your overall problem description, I am leaning towards DNS. please let me know if the DNS servers are the ones used by AD and on the DCs themselves?

• Edited by abcca Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Yes exactly, if the machine was already on and someone had just logged off then this problem doesn't exist.  It only happens say if a user has reboot the machine and then when they go to log back in then it hangs forever.  Reboot and restart are the key words for sure I've noticed with this issue.  Otherwise it's fine.  

I will try and disable those two you mentioned and test it: 

Group Policy slow link detection & slow network connection timeout

As far as the enabling portfast on the switch is this just a switch of a setting within our switch?  I'm the one who installed it and I wasn't aware this was a feature, but like I said I'm still gaining knowledge in the IT field.  

Let me look into your last question on the servers.  I'll post back here shortly. 

Thank you again for the help!

Emily

Emily Pinkerton

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Okay got your answer, yes both Server01 & Server02 are DNS Domain Controllers, 01 is primary and 02 backup. 

Does that help us to narrow the problem down a little further?

Emily

Emily Pinkerton

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Yes exactly, if the machine was already on and someone had just logged off then this problem doesn't exist.  It only happens say if a user has reboot the machine and then when they go to log back in then it hangs forever.  Reboot and restart are the key words for sure I've noticed with this issue.  Otherwise it's fine.  

I will try and disable those two you mentioned and test it: 

Group Policy slow link detection & slow network connection timeout

As far as the enabling portfast on the switch is this just a switch of a setting within our switch?  I'm the one who installed it and I wasn't aware this was a feature, but like I said I'm still gaining knowledge in the IT field.  

Let me look into your last question on the servers.  I'll post back here shortly. 

Thank you again for the help!

Emily

Emily Pinkerton

since you said server1 & 2 are both DC DNSs, and the problem only happens for cold start. the issue is the network switch that directly connected to your user's PC. This portfast is enabled by default for ALL switches in case you want to stack them together for redundancy and/or load balancing, but to prevent looping.the delay is for all the switches to communicate with each other whenever a new device comes in. no reason to check loop for end user device.you have to logon to the switch(I assume you have managed switch, not the dummy switch that is used at home) and turn the feature off for the ports that are connected to end user devices, such as PCs, printers etc.

• Edited by abcca Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:00 PM
  • I'm a little confused, on a few computers that are having this issue they are direction connected by LAN cable into the wall which is passed to a main switch for our office.  That main switch is handled by a company so I have no idea if this is something they can turn off.  A couple of the computers with the same issue are connected to D-Link Ethernet switches that then connect to the wall from a LAN cable and back to the same main switch. 

Does that give you any more information?

Emily

Emily Pinkerton

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:40 PM
  • I'm a little confused, on a few computers that are having this issue they are direction connected by LAN cable into the wall which is passed to a main switch for our office.  That main switch is handled by a company so I have no idea if this is something they can turn off.  A couple of the computers with the same issue are connected to D-Link Ethernet switches that then connect to the wall from a LAN cable and back to the same main switch. 

Does that give you any more information?

Emily

Emily Pinkerton

1. for your D-Link, is it a managed, or un-managed switch? if it's managed, you can and have to login and turn this off. otherwise, nothing you can do.

2. for the main switch(the plug on the wall doesn't count). you have to engage that company to check the ports for you. 

the last resort, if the portfast cannot be turned off, is to disable  "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon"  under "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\". This will create other issue though. Users will logon fast, but see their mapped drive discounnted, missing roaming profiles or GPOs etc. This is NOT recommended, but can be used as a test to prove to your network company that it's a network issue which they have to fix for you.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:31 PM