List of successful sequenced Microsoft application RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Many people working with App-V always have the same question.

Could it be sequenced ?

There are two entries at The App-V Blog that gives us a hint which softwaren can not be sequenced.

It would be simply great if Microsoft can provide the virtual community a list with already successful sequenced Microsoft products.

V me app- Stevie !
    vkleinerde

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

At BriForum 2008 in Chicago Shawn Bass and I presented the "top10 challenges wih SoftGrid (and other Application Virtualization solutions"). App-V is a great solution, but there (as always) some challenges which are very usefull to understand. Hopefully this presentation will give an overview and makes sense for you.

http://www.virtuall.nl/seminars/BriForum2008/BriForum08Top10challengeswithSGandOthers.pdf

With regards,

Ruben

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Hi Ruben,

thanks for the additional Information.

I think also, that App-V is a brilliant solution to virtualize software. In the last two and a half year I sequenced successful  about 160 non Microsoft software packages.

I do not expect a software compatibility list per App-V for non Microsoft products – because it´s impossible.

But It would be helpful to have a clear conclusion from the vendor self, which of their own products can be virtualized.

Kind regards

Volker

PS: I would like to order a dozen packages from page 103 of your presentation

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:02 PM
  • While Microsoft could very well know (or then again, maybe not since there's been quite a few MS products during the course of history) which of their products can and can not be sequenced, I think it might be bit sensitive issue to publish such list (or possibly embarassing). So don't expect that anytime soon ;-)

/Kalle

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Well, I can agree with the above statement. But instead I can post on what I had in place locally on my laptop due to customer requirements and harddrive space availability and have "successfully" sequenced wiht the 4.5 RC0 sequencer.

(yeah I am currently bored...)

Qlikview 8.2 - Analyzer only (don't have a license key - thats why ...)

PL SQL Dev 7.0.3

Solid Edge Viewer 19

Virtual Dimension

Foxit Reader

Acrobat Reader 9

Mind Manager Viewer 7

SAP 7.1 + bunch of patches + BI

HKSFV (still no context menus...?)

Hyperion BI 9i+ Administration Services (I think it is?) + jre 1.6 u7

Winrar works, but since the only way I access it is the right click menu I get on folders / files - whats the point?

Seriously, biggest "flaw" yet when it comes to SG. Just lika FTA the client should be able to manage those....

Currently I am left to scan the registry to "manually" insert the correct keys and reference my package. Thats UGLY! Its COMPLICATED and should really be involved in the monitoring process and possible to deploy!

DWG Trueview 2009 starts, but throughs up a bunch of errors. I see this as a deployment issue and not a virtualization issue. Really - why do the trueview application always has to be so hard?

Marval I sequenced. Don't know what that means or anything, but its a helpdesk-system...

Packbase 3.2

Ecolab (a cd-presentation, only works on XP - but sequenced it works on 2003 aswell Smile

Essbase 6.5.7 and Essbase 9.3 Excel Plugin (9.3 has a multi-user environment issue - use scripting in SG to resolve this)

ViewCefip (really don't know what this is...) 2.0

Intrastat 2008 - not tested and I actually sequenced the server aswell... so i suppose to make any use of it I have to sequence "just" the client?

VMWare Virtual Infrastructure Client

Irfanview

7-zip

Visio Viewer 2007

All sequenced on Win XP SP2 and runs on Vista.

Currently awaiting media for some Oracle Forms stuff - that will be interesting.

So what do I mean by "successfull"? Will I haven't tested every single possibility on howto run or access the application, but only what I find useful in them. Some I just start, others I use myself in my daily work.

SG for me is really a great solution for Citrix. Its not so great, becoming better - but still lacking some potential, for the desktop.

Two things I would REALLY like to see;

Possibility to sequence SQL Express.

- This is used by so many applications as an offline replica of an existing database. The deployment of this is usually very ugly, hard, complex and takes loads of time.

Right-click menus

-That would add a really great benefit for the desktop. Drivers are currently impossible to virtualize - fine. But why can't my right click menus be handled just like the FTAs? Its sometimes THE way to access a application.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Has anyone had any success sequencing an Oracle ADI application?    I started the monitor, ran the ADI install with 3 patches, added the env vars for Oracle_home and TNS_ADMIN, stopped the monitor so reboot function could occur, restarted the monitor and configured the db, stopped monitor and launched all applications.  When the diagnostic wizard ran, it showed errors with the oracle_home not being defined.   When I ran the ADI application, it ran fine and I had no problem logging on.  At this point I finished the sequencer and moved the sequenced app to the content folder.

But when I launched the ADI application on a client, I got the message that the oracle_home variable is not set.  (Note: the env vars for Oracle_home and TNS_ADMIN do show up in the osd file.

My next move was to editor the ADI osd file.  I added following scripts:

<SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" TIMING="PRE" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="">
          <SCRIPTBODY>cmd /c REG ADD HKCU\ENVIRONMENT /V TNS_ADMIN /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D          

"q:/orant/network/admin" /F</SCRIPTBODY></SCRIPT>
       <SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" TIMING="PRE" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="">
          <SCRIPTBODY>cmd /c REG ADD HKCU\ENVIRONMENT /V ORACLE_HOME /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D

"q:\orant" /F</SCRIPTBODY></SCRIPT>

Still no luck though.  They ran when I lauched the ADI on a client, and the app opens, but when I click on the logon box

I get the message:

An Unexpected Error Has Occurred in ADI:

Routine: MAINGLDI: DoSignOn
    Source: oraGLDI32
    Error Number: 91

I'm hoping someone can point out an error or give me some ideas on what to try next.

MMB

Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Hi MEMMB, were you ever able to get ADI to sequence successfully?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Ruben,
    The link to PDF is broken, can you fix it please.

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:14 PM
  • to add to list, mostly Legal industry related apps:
    Adobe Acrobat 8
    EFS (Electronic Filing System)
    Google Chrome
    FireFox 3
    AIM, GAIM, MSCommunicator, Windows Messenger, Yahoo Messenger
    IE 5, 6 & 8 (even though they say it can't be done - 1st launch is super slow but after that it's all good)
    Interwoven's FileSite 8.x (integrated mostly with Office 2007)
    ImgBurn
    KeePass
    Notepad++ (dont' name it using '+' though)
    MA3000 (docketing software)
    NumberCruncher
    Patent Hunter
    Picasa (for fun)
    TaxAnalyst
    TrackIt (helpdesk ticket tracking software)
    West LiveNote 1.5 (latest version as of Oct '09)
    IT
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I have sequenced Oracle ADI 7.2 (with App-V 4.5 CU1 - i think there were som issues in 4.5 RTM that caused trouble when sequencing 16-bit setup files, which may be an issue here. This bug seems to be fixed in 4.5 CU1 and SP1).

It is sequenced without any special tricks. Just install to Q. I also have Excel 2003 in the same package. Don't know if it would work if Excel was installed locally.

We have used it for a couple of weeks, and it seems to be working. I am still not 100% sure yet that all features are working correctly. 

Anyway, the issues we have had so far have been fixed with these simple steps:

Excel 2003
    1. Under Tools -> Macro -> Security, select the Security Level tab, and choose Low (?).
    2. Under Tools -> Macro -> Security, select the Trusted Publishers/Sources tab, and make sure Trust Visual Basic Project is checked.
    3. OK

Excel 2007

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button in the upper left hand corner, and then click Excel Options.
    2. Click Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings, and then click Macro Settings.
    3. Check the:

• Disable all macros with notification: This will allow you to choose to Enable Macros for ADI templates.
    • Trust access to the VBA project object model. Turn on access by selecting the check box.

4. Click OK to save settings.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:53 AM
  • I wrote a small list of items to look in any applications while evaluating any applications for sequencing. It can be viewed at http://appvirtual.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/updated-tips-to-pick-right-apps-for-sequencing
    GNU developer by choice ....
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:08 AM
  • i would like to add the product key for mind manager 9.0 in the app-v sequencer.did you perhaps did that ?
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:32 AM
  • I think you better start a new thread for MindManager.

But to answer your question; I've sequenced MindManager 8, but I requested a licence file to activate offline in the sequencer.

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:10 AM
  • thanks got mind manager to work fine finally,but will post all relevant info regarding on a later time.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:55 AM