Skype for Businees steals focus RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

To encourage users to message more on minor issues we've rolled out Skype for Business in our organisation delivered as part of our Office 365 licence. There is an option to start the app in the foreground which i have unchecked when installing and configuring, however most users have noticed that when the app is running in the background and minimized to the notification area it suddenly pops up and steals the focus when opening Excel or Word - and keeps poppin up time and time again whilst the other office app is open despite being minimized each time it pops up.

This is a typical  Microsoft bug, I've searched forums and can find many people experiencing the same issue but no fix. Has anyone had this problem and more importantly found a solution?

Friday, September 28, 2018 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please try doing a repair on Office 2016 for SFB and then monitor the behavior

Here are all the steps i follwed in case someone else had the problem:

- Remove all other version of Office

- Renamed the registry keys HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\ as Lync.old (the whole hive is reacreated)

- Removed the Sip profile in %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync 

- Reactivated the UAC

- Removed the Skype addin in Outlook

- Set Skype for business to start as admin (modify the exe) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\lync.exe

after some of the that the problem disapeared.

You could vote for this idea in skype feenback, if PG take this idea, this issue will be fixed in future update.

https://www.skypefeedback.com/forums/299913-generally-available/suggestions/9498276-skype-for-business-keeps-stealing-focus

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 1, 2018 8:07 AM