Automate Screenshot and save it in a Document Library. RRS feed

• Question

• I have this weird requirement; I was wondering if someone could guide me with it... I need to set up something may be like a job that runs once a week to take screenshot of a custom page and stores it in a .jpg/png format in one of my libraries. 

Thanks

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:21 AM Not customization (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

you could use timer jobs to create a scheduled job. Nevertheless, I'm just thinking how you might take a screenshot of a page if you are not running the web browser and your client. The only thing I can imagine that you could render the custom page and store the html result into an own file.

This is not exactly a screenshot, because all "dynamic" parts not stored in the html page (attached css, javascript files, images) are not persisted with the state in time. The easiest way would be to take a screenshot, but you can't do this by code without a client in the background (there is no rendering of the screen). If you store your own html file, then you should also store all the rest of the "dynamic" parts. However, working in this direction is not your intention. For something like that you could also use versioning of the page and change it once a week. In this way you have also the copies.

br,

patrick

follow me if you want on:
    my blog http://patrick.lamber.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @patricklamber
    • Marked as answer by Deepayan Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:20 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

you could use timer jobs to create a scheduled job. Nevertheless, I'm just thinking how you might take a screenshot of a page if you are not running the web browser and your client. The only thing I can imagine that you could render the custom page and store the html result into an own file.

This is not exactly a screenshot, because all "dynamic" parts not stored in the html page (attached css, javascript files, images) are not persisted with the state in time. The easiest way would be to take a screenshot, but you can't do this by code without a client in the background (there is no rendering of the screen). If you store your own html file, then you should also store all the rest of the "dynamic" parts. However, working in this direction is not your intention. For something like that you could also use versioning of the page and change it once a week. In this way you have also the copies.

br,

patrick

follow me if you want on:
    my blog http://patrick.lamber.blogspot.com
    Twitter: @patricklamber
    • Marked as answer by Deepayan Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:20 PM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Thanks Patrick .. appreciate it.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:20 PM