Difference between SQL Server Cluster name and SQL Server Instance name RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone please guide me as in when 2 SQL Servers are clustered then what will be the cluster server name and what will be the cluster instance name?    For one of my client they have only one instance so when we login to ssms we find   btlive\btcluster is connected

what is cluster server name and cluster instance name here?  

Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:06 PM

Answers

• Both clustered instance name and cluster server name are wide terms use to address Windows server failover cluster or SQl Server clustered instance.

Let us say you have windows server failover cluster WINCLUS now you went ahead and created a SQL Server cluster Network name SQLCLUS ( this is needed to identify failover cluster instance which you call as SQL cluster)  and installed a SQL Server instance called as INST1.  Now when you would connect to SQl Server via SSMS you would use SQLCLUS\INST1 in server name . Clear ?

There is 

Windows Server failover cluster Name

SQL Server network name

SQL Server instance name

Others are just wrong term

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:17 PM

All replies

• Both clustered instance name and cluster server name are wide terms use to address Windows server failover cluster or SQl Server clustered instance.

Let us say you have windows server failover cluster WINCLUS now you went ahead and created a SQL Server cluster Network name SQLCLUS ( this is needed to identify failover cluster instance which you call as SQL cluster)  and installed a SQL Server instance called as INST1.  Now when you would connect to SQl Server via SSMS you would use SQLCLUS\INST1 in server name . Clear ?

There is 

Windows Server failover cluster Name

SQL Server network name

SQL Server instance name

Others are just wrong term

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Thanks.
    Friday, June 14, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Thanks.
    Hi EKta,

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 14, 2019 9:03 AM