Can Outlook 2016 be minimized when I hit the 'close button'? RRS feed

• Question

• Applications like Skype have a feature where they stay minimized on the task bar when they are closed, and I accidentally close office a lot of times, because of the fact that the close button closes the application, and has the be restarted again. I'm not a huge tech genius, and have tried downloading a .dll file called KeepOutlookRunning.dll from the internet, which was a add-in in Office 2016 (or other office versions). When trying to put up the add in, I got an error message, which stated "<path> is not a valid Office add-in". I have tried installing it by opening the options windows, and then going to the add-ins tab, selecting manage: COM Add-ins, and trying to add it by clicking the add button. I did do this in administrator mode by the way. Is there any solution to the problem? I would also appreciate any other ways to get the window minimized when the close button is clicked.

Thanks for any help,

Karthik

Saturday, March 26, 2016 5:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• From looking at the online installation instructions I've seen for this add-in, there are both 32 and 64 bit versions and, if one fails to install, try the other; did you try that?

Keep Outlook 2013 Running - More like a smartphone or tablet

Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE <br/> Broadcast Engineer/I.T. Pro <br/> MS MVP-Windows Experience - WA7BGX <br/> www.rolandschorr.com

Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:58 PM
  • While this might not be what you are looking for it's unfortunate that Skype and other applications have redefined the red X to do something different. I made it my habit to always minimize an application like Outlook by clicking on the _ instead. After a week you will do this automatically and you also will do this on other computers than your own without the need for any third-party add-in.

Best regards, George

Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Hi Karthik,

Based on my knowledge, there is no settings in Outlook to set Keeping Outlook running after clicking Close button. According to your description, you want to use a third-party add-ins to achieve it. I am not sure whether your third-party add-in could be working for Outlook 2016 version.

Please remove your Add-ins in Outlook File > Options > Add-ins tab, then add it again to have a try. If the add-ins is crashing, please refer to:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Why-is-my-add-in-crashing-1e02d873-04c8-4ecd-ac63-8f18507a3870?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:30 AM
  • There is a free Quick Tweaks add-in that provides such option. Install it and set the "Minimize Outlook on close" option. After that the "X" button will minimize Outlook. In order to exit, use File -> Exit Outlook menu.

Alexey Kuznetsov,
    Relief Software
    More than 100 free add-ins for Outlook

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:40 PM
  • While this might not be what you are looking for it's unfortunate that Skype and other applications have redefined the red X to do something different. I made it my habit to always minimize an application like Outlook by clicking on the _ instead. After a week you will do this automatically and you also will do this on other computers than your own without the need for any third-party add-in.

Best regards, George

That's actually not the full story. Skype and other applications did redefine the function of the close button (red X), but this did not replace the minimize buttion ( _ ). Whereas in the old days most programs in Windows could only either be mimimized or closed completely, a new option has emerged throughout the years. These days, three essentially different ways of getting rid of a program screen are all used quite often:

1. Minimize ( _ button): stop showing the program window on the desktop, application keeps running and is available as a large button on the task bar.

2: Close (X button): stop showing the program window on the desktop, application stops running.

3: Minimize to tray ( _ or X depending on the program): stop showing the program window and the large task bar button, but the application keeps running. Often used for programs that are supposed to keep running but cluttering the task bar would not be necessary as you don't need to open the application all too often (e.g. I don't randomly open my mailbox all the time so I don't need the big button but I do want to get notifications for new e-mails).

Adding a button to make it  _ □  X instead of _ □ X would be too much of a change to the Windows infrastructure, I guess.

Monday, January 22, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Either this software was never free OR it is not free anymore. There's a few days trial after which the license must be bought. So, this Answer is now only misinformation.
    Sunday, August 2, 2020 10:20 PM