none
VBScript Error MDT 2012 RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else having the below VBScript at the end of a OS Refresh.

I'm doing this with MDT 2012 RC1 within a new Server and MDT install

It will continue if I use HideShell in the customsettings.ini

Error Below

VBSCRIPT ERROR AT THE END

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\DeploymentScripts\Wizard.hta

A VBScript Runtime Error has occurred:
    Error: 13 = Type mismatch
    VBScript Code:
    ----------------
    InitializeSummary

____________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:30 PM

Answers

• We have analyzed similar reports and all have been caused by a mismatch between the boot image being used and the new MDT 2012 RC1 scripts.  Make sure you have created new boot media (CD, USB) using MDT 2012 RC1.

Behind the scenes, the reason for the error is a change in the LiteTouch.wsf script (the old boot media will have the old script) and a corresponding change in the summary wizard (which is run from the deployment share, so the new one will be picked up).  The "new" LiteTouch.wsf script writes the results of the task sequence into an XML file, then the wizard reads it.  But in this case, the wizard can't find the XML file because the old LiteTouch.wsf script doesn't create it.

Thanks, -Michael Niehaus Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit mniehaus@microsoft.com http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus

Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:41 AM

All replies

• I get the same error message.

However, I made a boot USB and am running it from there. 

And I get the error at the start of the OS install.

If I run from the server I do not get the error message.

I am running MDT 2012 TC1 as well.

• Edited by Stykx Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:37 PM Forgot info.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:35 PM
  • We have analyzed similar reports and all have been caused by a mismatch between the boot image being used and the new MDT 2012 RC1 scripts.  Make sure you have created new boot media (CD, USB) using MDT 2012 RC1.

Behind the scenes, the reason for the error is a change in the LiteTouch.wsf script (the old boot media will have the old script) and a corresponding change in the summary wizard (which is run from the deployment share, so the new one will be picked up).  The "new" LiteTouch.wsf script writes the results of the task sequence into an XML file, then the wizard reads it.  But in this case, the wizard can't find the XML file because the old LiteTouch.wsf script doesn't create it.

Thanks, -Michael Niehaus Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit mniehaus@microsoft.com http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus

Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:41 AM
  • I have been seeing the same issue (but at the beginning of my Task Sequences).  I double and triple checked that I had the "new" LiteTouch.wsf files.  The odd thing was that with an ISO media with multiple Task Sequences, I would get this error on some and not on others (which led me to believe it wasn't the LiteTouch.wsf file in my circumstance).  After playing with it, I believe the issue (again, for me) is actually the Validate task.  If it fails to meet it's check (not enough memory, for instance) than the error reported above is seen.  Meeting (or changing) the requirements on the Validate step made this issue go away for me.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm having the same error whenever i try to run LiteTouch.wsf from a share to capture a machine to make an image. What validate task are you talking about exactly ?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

I have also problem with a VBS script and mdt 2012 RC1 Dumping Task Sequence Variables, i get Runtime error 13 Type Mismatch.

Dumping Task Sequence Variables

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2010/04/26/dumping-task-sequence-variables.aspx

/PS

/SaiTech

Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

I fix it with VBS version..

Set env = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment")   
    For each v in env.GetVariables   
       WScript.Echo v & " = " & env(v)   
    /Next  

/PS 

/SaiTech

Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hi,  we are currently in the process of upgrading to 2012 but our testing is also producing this error at the final summary screen.  MDT is the latest RTM version and all boot disks have been regenerated and are at the correct version.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:43 AM
  • Can you "completely regenerate" the boot images (update the deployment share and choose that option), then burn new boot disks?

When you boot into the MDT boot media, you should be able to look at the version numbers on the scripts in the \Deploy\Scripts folder, especially ZTIUtility.vbs and LiteTouch.wsf.  Both should show version "6.0.2223.0", which should match the version number of the same scripts on the deployment share in \DeploymentShare\Scripts.  I'm guessing your boot media still has something earlier than 6.0.2223.0.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Michael, thanks for the prompt reply.

I have done a complete regen and checked the litetouch.wsf and ztiutility.vbs which are the same versions in WinPE as in the new deployment share.  What is the name and location of the xml file it is expecting to see?

Cheers

EDIT. Ok, think I've found the issue. I tracked the xml file down to being temp\deploymentlogs\results.xml. This file contains the type mismatch error and it appears it may have come from a custom script that has failed (but continued) in the winpe phase.

I'll disable it and test again.  If it is that I should get a clean build.

EDIT2: Disabled the script in question and now the results.xml file looks correct (no type mismatch) but the error is still present.

Failure is occuring in this line of Summary_Scripts.vbs:

iRetVal = CLng(OUtility.SelectSingleNodeString(oResults, "//RetVal"))

There is no RetVal in this xml file, but adding one and running the script manual resolves the issue.

• Edited by RL69 Wednesday, May 2, 2012 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 11:17 AM
  • We do have a bug in the case where a task sequence fails while still in Windows PE.  We're still working on that one. 

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I am getting the exact same error as posted in the first post.

I have looked into the two scripts mentionned here and compared them to those equivalent in the deployshare. I found a version mismatch in the LiteTouch.wsf.

The older version being on the deploymentshare.

I have tried to completely regenerate but the same error still persists.

What should i do from here?

EDIT1: This is strange. After regenerating share the script file versions was now the same. But in this one particular server i still get the message. Now i tried to fire up another server at the same time, and here i have no issues at all. Both are Fujitsu servers, although one is rx300 generation 4 and the other  generation 5.

Does anyone have a clue as to what can cause this behavior?

• Edited by lazerpld Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:56 AM Additional information.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:29 AM
  • The simplest would probably be to manually update the script from the version that is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Scripts, assuming that is the right version.  If that isn't the right version, you could uninstall MDT (which won't touch the deployment share), then reinstall it to get the latest script.  To force MDT to upgrade the scripts on the deployment share again, you can edit the \Control\Version.xml file to specify a lower version number (e.g. 6.0.2000.0) and then when you run Workbench you'll be forced to upgrade it again.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:34 PM
  • I'm having the same error, but only with 2 new models of Acer.

Other older Acers image fine.

Just to confuse me utterly A different series Acer with SSD images fine as well.

I have updated the drivers, but still get the same error.

A VBScript Runtime Error has occurred:
    Error: 13 = Type mismatch
    VBScript Code:
    ----------------
    InitializeSummary

Any help Gratefully received.

Michael

• Proposed as answer by Neil Dsouza Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Neil Dsouza Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Had another instance of this today (corrupt source files in the source folder for the image was the underlying cause) and the results.xml file wasn't anywhere on the hard disk. MDT was looking in C: when the O/S was on the V:
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Check in MDT your task sequence, under option=preinstall new computer=format disk, and change options in disk volume

• Edited by TechnoKris Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:36 AM
  • just had the same issue but with the latest version 6.0.2223.0 and i have the VM using dymanic memory and the min was 512 and max was 4096... gave the VM 4096 and error went away

Twitter: @dguilloryjr LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dannyjr Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/dguilloryjr

Monday, July 2, 2012 4:10 AM
  • I had the same problem as described by Marshall1234 from one of our Deployment Shares. Turns out i forgot to configure a selection profile for my boot images. so the WIMs were injecting every network and storage driver they could find.

Fix:

1. Create a folder in "out of box drivers" then import the network/storage drivers relevent to your environment.

2. create a selection profile that only includes the folder you create in step 1.

3. Right click on the deployment share and select properties. Click on Windows PE tab. and the Drivers and Patches tab.

4. For each platform (There are 2 platforms x86 and x64. both need to be configured.) select the new profile you created in step 2.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:33 PM
  • I recently resolved this issue by setting the BIOS storage setting from 'Intel Smart Storage/AHCI' to 'ATA'.

See if the BIOS Storage setting change helps.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Same issue here.  It's not on every machine, in my case I maged about ten machines and it's only one laptop.  The other two laptops, same model, same memory, same HD, same everything, bios etc. 

Going to chek the validate step and see if anything jumps out.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Did that too and didn't do anything.  This is seriously frustrating.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:39 PM
  • @Goofyfoot2001 Are you using MDT 2012 RC1?  If you are, you should upgrade to MDT 2012 U1.  If not, then please start a new thread as your issue may be different and post some of your log and environment details and we'll see what we can do to help.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:52 PM
    Answerer