Windows 7 freezes while Accessing Citrix Xen App published through UAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

1-      We have a Citrix Xen App 5.0 Published on UAG.

2-      We want it to access it thru UAG on Windows 7 machines with IE 8. But we do not want to install UAG components (Active X) due to policy compliance.

3-      We login in to the portal without components being installed and clicks on published Xen App icon then following things happen.

a)      It launches the application tunnel and we can see published apps in citrix.

b)      We can able to launch apps in citrix.

c)       But rest of the things in Windows 7 stops working like other opened items in browsers, other applications in the machine.

d)      Even minimizing/maximizing of the launched browser of Citrix stops responding

Ultimately everything stops working and we have to restart or have to kill launched Citrix application.

4-      These things happen only with IE without Active X components but in Firefox, as it is using JAVA to launch published UAG applications, works fine.

5-      If we install UAG client components on windows 7 , everything works fine.

6-      Also it is working fine with other Microsoft OS like Vista and XP on IE, even UAG Active X components are not installed on this machines.

7-      So, we can see that this issue is strictly confined to Windows 7 OS and IE, only when we do not install UAG client components.

Any ideas how we can make it work in Windows 7 without installing UAG components.

Thank you in advance

Khalid Pervez

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:54 PM

Answers

• Khalid, access to Citrix is based on a non-web protocol, and it cannot work without SSL-VPN tunneling. SSL-VPN tunelling cannot work without the client components - either the ActiveX on IE or Java on Firefox. I'm afraid you really don't have a choice here.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:25 PM

All replies

• Khalid, access to Citrix is based on a non-web protocol, and it cannot work without SSL-VPN tunneling. SSL-VPN tunelling cannot work without the client components - either the ActiveX on IE or Java on Firefox. I'm afraid you really don't have a choice here.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS UAG/IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hello Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, my main issue was that while accessing UAG published Citrix XenApp 5.0 through Internet Explorer without using UAG Client Components (Without Active X, but using JAVA components) on Windows 7 OS, then Windows 7 is getting freeze.

This is happening when we are using Internet Explorer 32-bit browser on any Windows 64-bit OS. Everything is working fine with Windows 32-bit OS. So, the only workaround which I found till yet is to use Internet Explorer 64-bit browser on Windows 64-bit OS to access Citrix app (if we don't want to install UAG Client components). By default, Windows is set to use IE 32-bit web browser. So, now I got rid of OS freezing issue while accessing Citrix Xen App.

Regards,

Khalid Pervez

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:47 PM