Skype for Business -Deploy monitoring & Call Quality Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Planning to deploy monitoring server for Skype for business Enterprise Pool to fetch monitoring report periodically.

Query :

1) Should we use same SQL Server instance as monitoring database store, which is being used for Skype backend server instance ?

2) Do we need a separate server to configure call Qualiy Dashbord ?

-DJ

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

It is advisable (strongly) to deploy the monitoring and CDR databases to its own SQL server and Instance. Although they can be collocated with the backend, this compromises performance and availability scenarios considerably.

The CQD is a server role itself, it cannot be collocated with any other Skype for Business server. You would need to add this into the topology as a trusted server. You also need SQL Server Analysis Services running on your SQL instance in order to build the data cubes the CQD relies on.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by JinDeep Friday, July 8, 2016 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

It is advisable (strongly) to deploy the monitoring and CDR databases to its own SQL server and Instance. Although they can be collocated with the backend, this compromises performance and availability scenarios considerably.

The CQD is a server role itself, it cannot be collocated with any other Skype for Business server. You would need to add this into the topology as a trusted server. You also need SQL Server Analysis Services running on your SQL instance in order to build the data cubes the CQD relies on.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by JinDeep Friday, July 8, 2016 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Thanks Mark,

I have associated SQL Server store as a monitoring SQL store also.If it can degrade performance as well as availability scenario, I would not like to install monitoring report using same instance.

We are not in stage to deploy one more server dedicately for monitoring.Please suggest any alternative through which we can pull monitoring report.

Is there any script available which can be run on SQL Server and fetch some reports.

-DJ

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hi

I meant when i said degrade performance, if you deploy monitoring and reporting to the same instance as your CMS database.

You can deploy reporting services to the instance that is used for archiving and monitoring without problem. Or some businesses have dedicate reporting services farm, so when you deploy monitoring you can select a different report server to home the reports on.

Without reporting services, you would have to design your own SQL queries to pull the data. These will be very complex and I am not a SQL expert so hesitant to advise on that side of things.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:59 AM
  • In this case, can we use different instance for monitoring and reporting on same server which is being used as SFB backend server ? 

Using same SQL server with different instance will make any difference in recommended approach to deploy monitoring ?

-DJ

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Yes you can as long as both instances aren't competing for the same resource i.e. cpu cycles and ram.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:24 AM