none
Project Server 2010 "Open in Project Professional" from PWA with Project Professional 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• When I open Project Center from PWA of my Project Server 2010 environment (running in Backward Compatibility Mode), the "Open in Project Professional" options are grayed out.  The same is true of the "New in Project Professional" option. 

I have 7 clients with Project Professional 2007 installed, 5 of which are experiencing this issue.  I cannot find a common link between those which have the problem and those that do not.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern across installs. 

• Each installation was completed using standard options, patched up to SP2 with the Feb2011 CU (v12.0.6545.5004), winproj.exe = 12.0.6554.5000.
    • I have personally logged into each client, so permissions can't be at play here.
    • They all have the Server Account defined using the exact FQDN typed into the address bar of Internet Explorer.
    • The trusted site list of IE is controlled by Group Policy and contains the *.abc.com parent domain (where the Project Server instance resides) on all clients.
    • There is nothing in ULS or event logs that seem relevent to this issue

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Server 2008 R2
    Internet Explorer: IE 7 or IE 8
    Office: v2003 or v2007

Note: I can open Project Professional 2007 directly from the Programs list on every machine and can add / update project plans on the same Project Server 2010 instance without issue.  My problem is simply the option to manage the plans from PWA.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be the problem?  I'm out of ideas at this point.

Thanks.
    Jason

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• I have resolved this issue by registering one of the Project Server 2007 ActiveX controls on the client machine running Project Professional 2007.  Specific steps below:

1. Copy the following file from a machine running Project Server 2007 to the local client computer - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\PWA\OBJECTS\pjclient.cab
    2. Extract pjquery12.ocx from the file to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files
    3. Open a cmd window and type: regsvr32 "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\pjquery12.ocx"

The Project Server 2010 PWA options that were previously disabled should now be active.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:15 PM