none
Deleting cahe & cookies RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any easy way to delete the cache & cookies WITHOUT loosing all my usernames & passwords to which I have a ton?

TIA

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

your username and passwords for sites are stored in the windows registry. Deleting site cookies will not delete those registry entries,

ditto for usernames and passwords stored with a third-party form filler like RoboForm or the Google toolbar.

However, depending on how a website has been programmed, it may not allow the IE web browser to use its list of stored usernames, passwords or formdata. eg, banking sites always require you to manually type in your passwords (and/or) username/id.

Can we ask why you want to delete all your site cookies? One may delete individual site cookies for testing purposes, but deleting them all seems to be an overkill. I would guess that you probably have the google toolbar installed and have also turned on its Form filler and find that some sites do not remember your username and password preferences? You do not need 2 form fillers and having two installed and running can confuse outcomes. Click the Cog icon on the GTB to adjust its settings.

IE11 has InPrivate browsing and tracking protection to help safe guard your privacy and site security. For the most secure experience on your financial and business web site on home and public access computers and networks, use InPrivate browsing for those sites.

If you share your home computer , create separate user accounts for each person that has access to it. Win 7 has a built-in Guest account that house guests can use without being able to access your own private information.

As always, perform a backup before you make major changes to your computer.

I would add, prior to disposing of or selling your personal computer, you should format your hard disk and reinstall the OS. If trashing you machine, physically remove the hard disk and take a sledge hammer to it.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience (system administrators or Help desk support on domain networks). Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us . Include with your questions inks to any sites that you are having problems with, your windows and IE versions and the full text of any error messages you receive (or a screen shot)

Rob^_^

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

your username and passwords for sites are stored in the windows registry. Deleting site cookies will not delete those registry entries,

ditto for usernames and passwords stored with a third-party form filler like RoboForm or the Google toolbar.

However, depending on how a website has been programmed, it may not allow the IE web browser to use its list of stored usernames, passwords or formdata. eg, banking sites always require you to manually type in your passwords (and/or) username/id.

Can we ask why you want to delete all your site cookies? One may delete individual site cookies for testing purposes, but deleting them all seems to be an overkill. I would guess that you probably have the google toolbar installed and have also turned on its Form filler and find that some sites do not remember your username and password preferences? You do not need 2 form fillers and having two installed and running can confuse outcomes. Click the Cog icon on the GTB to adjust its settings.

IE11 has InPrivate browsing and tracking protection to help safe guard your privacy and site security. For the most secure experience on your financial and business web site on home and public access computers and networks, use InPrivate browsing for those sites.

If you share your home computer , create separate user accounts for each person that has access to it. Win 7 has a built-in Guest account that house guests can use without being able to access your own private information.

As always, perform a backup before you make major changes to your computer.

I would add, prior to disposing of or selling your personal computer, you should format your hard disk and reinstall the OS. If trashing you machine, physically remove the hard disk and take a sledge hammer to it.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience (system administrators or Help desk support on domain networks). Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us . Include with your questions inks to any sites that you are having problems with, your windows and IE versions and the full text of any error messages you receive (or a screen shot)

Rob^_^

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Thank you Rob. I just have never deleted the cache & cookies ever so I thought it maybe a good idea,
    Monday, July 11, 2016 3:08 PM
  • Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:46 PM