none
Windows Server 2012 licensing conversion to 2016 licensig

Question

• The organization that I work for, has several Windows Server licenses, these licenses were purchased at the physical processor model under the 2 processor pack per license, now that the Windows Server 2016 changed the licencing model to physical core model, how can I know how many cores my organization has rights to license?

Example: 1 Windows Server 2012 2 processor license equals how many cores Windows Server 2016 license.

I've searched several documents at Microsoft and other sites/blogs, but the only thing I thing are documents explaining how the core model works.

Is there any site or document with this description?

Monday, July 09, 2018 8:40 PM

All replies

• The licensing for 2012 R2 standard or datacenter edition will continue to be processor plus CAL (Client Access License), with each license covering up to two physical processors on a single server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

You couldn't license a Server 2016 with a Server 2012 R2 license.

The datasheet here explains how the Server 2016 licensing works.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/9/7290EA05-DC56-4BED-9400-138C5701F174/WS2016LicensingDatasheet.pdf

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 09, 2018 8:46 PM
  • Hi Dave, thanks for answer...

But I'm still have doubts...

My organization has a volume licensing with an active software assurance contract, when Microsoft changed the SQL Server licensing model from professor to core lic, active SA clients had the benefit to convert their actual processor licenses into core licenses, acording to a conversion table.

I searched for anything like this for Windows Server, but I couldn't find anything.

So, is there a conversion table for Windows Server 2012 processor licenses to 2016  core licenses, or purchased Windows Server 2012 processor licenses are lost and my organization needs to buy another Windows Server 2016 core licenses, even with an active software assurance contract?

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Ok, SA you just mentioned is new info. Based on the worksheet I'd say it probably equates to 16 cores.

The price of a set of 16 core licenses (for a 2-processor server) for Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and Standard editions is the same price as the 2-processor license of the corresponding edition of Windows Server 2012 R2.

Since you have an active software assurance I'd direct your legal licensing questions to support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/sasupport

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:20 AM