Email showing up in OWA but not in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an onsite Exchange 2010 environment and users on Office 2013.  There is a user mailbox on the server that is used for public records requests and we have users with full access to that mailbox to monitor it for incoming emails.  We just ran into a situation where the user is saying they did not get an email after the sender said it was sent and the deadline had passed.  This email came from an outside organization and was not labeled as private.  

We were unaware that the email came in and understandably argued that it was never received.  However, after I logged into the OWA for the public records mailbox, I in fact did see the email, it was just not showing up in Outlook.  I gave myself full access to the mailbox and brought up the Inbox in my Outlook client and could NOT see the email as well.  For troubleshooting I turned off cached mode and then the email showed up in Outlook.  I have seen quite a few situations similar to this while searching but not an actual solution.  Has anyone found a fix/patch for this?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:34 PM

Answers

• I would carefully examine any antivirus or antispam solutions or Outlook add-ins you may be using.  I'd audit any mobile devices that connect to the mailbox to ensure that they're properly configured.  If you can't find anything, I recommend you open a ticket with Microsoft Support, but I wouldn't be optimistic that you'll get much help unless you can reproduce the problem.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:18 AM

All replies

• I would carefully examine any antivirus or antispam solutions or Outlook add-ins you may be using.  I'd audit any mobile devices that connect to the mailbox to ensure that they're properly configured.  If you can't find anything, I recommend you open a ticket with Microsoft Support, but I wouldn't be optimistic that you'll get much help unless you can reproduce the problem.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Wang_ Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:18 AM
  • Hi,

I notice you can find the email in OWA,so the issue may be related to outlook side.

Please follow Ed suggestion to disable anti-virus and run outlook with safe mode for test.

Also let the sender send a new email to problematic mailbox and check if you can view new email in outlook.

To troubleshoot the issue,I suggest you try to use other outlook version to check if the same issue persists.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

David Wang_
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:00 AM