none
Internet wont work with one of our xp profiles RRS feed

• Question

• On our laptop we have XP and have set up 3 different users/accounts.  IE works for 2 users but not the 3rd. Diagnositic tool only says "contact manufacturer"  I've contacted our internet provider and they said to contact microsoft.  How do we get the internet to work on all 3 user accounts?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• If internet explorer is working for 2 user accounts in your laptop computer with windows Xp account, no doubt it should work for any other user account.Probably you cannot see the internet explorer icon in your third user account.Right click on desktop, click on properties, click on desktop tab, click on customize desktop, select internet explorer, click ok.You will find internet explorer icon on your desktop.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Diagnostic tool only says "contact manufacturer"

Which tool?  If you mean the XP Diagnose Network Problems (e.g. via IE's Tools menu) it would say more than that.   Another way to go on that OS would be  netsh diag gui  (e.g. from a cmd window or via Run...)  

The kinds of reasons that I can think of why one account would not connect while the hardware and the OS were otherwise available and willing would be proxy settings.  That XP Diagnostic fails miserably at informing you about errors in that regard.

Can the problem user connect using something other than IE?  E.g. another browser, or XP's Help and Support (Win-F1)?  In any case I think you would get more informed help about connectivity problems from an XP forum which specialized in Networking.  

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 1, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Could you please offer more details about "IE works for 2 users but not the 3rd". Did you receive any error message when using the 3rd account?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:29 AM