Windows 7 RC Status Bar, Details Pane and Windows' Positions RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have seen that there are a lot of comments about the Windows 7 Status Bar. I am also very 'irritated' by the fact that I can't see my file sizes in the status bar when clicking on a file (any file, any location - single files, multiple files). This would not be a problem if the Details Pane listed the file size but even the Details Pane does not list the file size properties and what is really bugging me is the fact that I can right-click on the details pane to remove some features I do not wish to see but cannot ADD anything that I REALLY WISH to see!

Another 'irritating' issue is the windows' positions. In Vista I always opened two windows (two separate drives I constantly use) and then selected "Show side by side". When I closed the two windows, reboot or shutdown/start-up and login to windows again and opened the two windows again, it remembered where it was last opened (side by side) and automatically opened at the same positions again. Since Windows 7 brought in the 'drag and snap' option, the windows do not remember their previous states anymore. I know this is a small issue but is really annoying - if like me, you use this all the time.

Do you think these small issues will be fixed?

It is the small stuff that can drive you crazy and be a deciding factor when choosing an operating system to use. So, I hope that Microsoft will hear the pleas about these issues... (and fix it of course)

• Edited by Aliquis Friday, May 29, 2009 10:24 AM
    • Changed type Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:19 AM Request
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• What are you calling the details pane and what are you calling the status bar? The details pane is the thing at the bottom.

Anyways, when in details view you can see the file size, you can also see the file size in the details pane (with its options on small, medium OR large).

Not sure what you mean by Remove details, but the remove properties thing you get when you right click an item on the details pane actually is there to strip the actual property from the file itself--not just remove it from the pane. If you want to see more details in the pane you can change the size to medium or large.

Maybe I just don't understand you. The not remembering window positions IS very annoying though, I will grant you that.
    • Edited by Mahull Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:09 PM images don't exist anymore
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Well... The thing Aliquis is calling Details pane, is, the Details Pane, "the thing in the bottom". AND the thing beeing called status bar, is, guess what? the STATUS BAR, the REAL thing in the botton, if you activate it, the status bar (like the old one we used to have in xp) is put in bottom of the details pane.

And, what Aliquis is telling, is exactly what I am telling since the beta, that the Details pane and / or status bar, are USELESS now, because they don´t provide information. I want to be able to see the sum of all file sizes in the current folder in the details pane or status bar, or both, I don´t care, just need the option to put the info there, to act exactly like the status bar in Windos XP, that used to provide the file sizes and free space in one single line of the status bar and now we have a HUGE details pane that (stupid) only says: X itens. and take 3 lines of real screen state, and this is really annoying.

I like to use all my files in List view, so, the "Details shows it" is not a option to me. I just wanted the details pane to provide the SAME useful information Windows xp used to have, Im not even asking microsoft to put MORE information. Could it be more simple? But, for some reason, they refuse to listen me and hundreds of users asking for the same thing.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:06 PM
  • FWIW, I'll second what Aliquis and Warel have said. If I select say 30 files the status bar now forces me to click on "get more details" to see the total size of said files. How is this an improvement?!?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I have seen that there are a lot of comments about the Windows 7 Status Bar. I am also very 'irritated' by the fact that I can't see my file sizes in the status bar when clicking on a file (any file, any location - single files, multiple files). This would not be a problem if the Details Pane listed the file size but even the Details Pane does not list the file size properties and what is really bugging me is the fact that I can right-click on the details pane to remove some features I do not wish to see but cannot ADD anything that I REALLY WISH to see!

Another 'irritating' issue is the windows' positions. In Vista I always opened two windows (two separate drives I constantly use) and then selected "Show side by side". When I closed the two windows, reboot or shutdown/start-up and login to windows again and opened the two windows again, it remembered where it was last opened (side by side) and automatically opened at the same positions again. Since Windows 7 brought in the 'drag and snap' option, the windows do not remember their previous states anymore. I know this is a small issue but is really annoying - if like me, you use this all the time.

Do you think these small issues will be fixed?

It is the small stuff that can drive you crazy and be a deciding factor when choosing an operating system to use. So, I hope that Microsoft will hear the pleas about these issues... (and fix it of course)

Solution: 

http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/classicshell/Version%202.8.2%20beta/ClassicShellSetup_2_8_2.exe

Program will allow you to do everything that you seek. Its amazing...should be standard on win 7 & XP.  
    After installation there is a little window that tells you all about the different features.  
    I'm going through it right now, disableing those that i don't need to save resources.  
    I found a review of the program on askvg a blog site.  
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:58 AM