HP laserjet 1022, 'USB Device not recognised' RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with my HP 1022 laserjet and Windows Vista. I have downloaded the new vista drivers from HP, and this did work fine for a time. When I plug the printer in directly, a box appears; 'USB Device not recognised' is the answer I get. My issue is that I have been using successfully this system for the last 3 months without a problem, so why now?. The second conundrum is that if I unplug/replug the USB cable I SOMETIMES get the printer to work!? I am now at the stage that the printer will not work at all. I am getting frustrated, and hope that I can get some help.
    Regards,
    Nik
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• Hello Nik,

Try this driver update for LaserJet 1022 provided by HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-58639-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439322&os=2093

If the problem persists, let me know the model of your computer or the motherboard.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Nik,

Try this driver update for LaserJet 1022 provided by HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-58639-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439322&os=2093

If the problem persists, let me know the model of your computer or the motherboard.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Does not work.  Continue to get "Installation Process Failed"
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel T-Reid Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:46 AM
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:51 AM
  • I had this problem for 2 about years. The HP Laserjet 1022 printer would only work with one of my PCs that had XP. When I got a new PC with Vista it refused to work. I have been through HP support and a lot of forums like this trying to solve the problem and I always got feedback that indicated that it was a problem with the software (drivers). Well, I discovered this week that that was not the case. This problem which is very common to HP LJ 1020 & 1022 printers is actually due to the USB cable. I cannot explain why in one case it worked with the usb cable and in another it didn't but after trying to get my 1022 to work on 3 other pcs without success I tried another cable and it worked with everyone the PCs, XP & Vista!

The new USB cable I have does not have a lable and I don't remember where I got it from. I figure it came with another device I bought. But I can without a dought tell you that the problem is not with the drivers. Unfortunately, HP tech support have been unable to recognise this. I did come across one person online who decided to buy the USB cable from HP directly after going through a few cables. I don't know what his success was but I think this should be the safest bet.

My plan is to find out more about USB serial cables to determine what differences there are. Somehow I always thought that a serial cable was just a serial cable but it is obvious that all USB serial cables are not the same. Good luck Nik J.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel T-Reid Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:47 AM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Very surprised to read this thing about your USB cable. I hope that this will be the solution to my problem. I have a HP 1020 USB printer that will refuse to communicate with one of my computer but will work flawlessly with the other. I suspect a big software bug because the problem with my Laserjet appeared just after I trying to print a document and changing the default recto-verso mode to recto only. Since then, the printer will not work. First, I deleted the printer from the printer list, then all the printer, then things got worst and worst until I tried to clean the print spooler system. I am since unable to reinstall this printer. The installation stops when the computer tries to communicate with the printer.

Any though ?

Thanks,
    Chosebinne
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi All,

Driver Install for HP LaserJet 1022 All OS Download
    good luck 

Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:54 PM