none
DPM 2010 Secondary backup of Hyper Cluster unable to enumerate contents in RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a 4 node 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper Cluster and are successfully using DPM 2010 with March 2010 hotfix rollup to backup file level and guest level (Backup Using Child Partition images) Hyper-V virtual servers. 

We have a secondary DPM server and we are able to successfully backup system state and file level data from primary servers. 

We are unable to backup the virtual machines (Backup Using Child Partition Snapshots) from the primary.  The error we receive when attempting to drill down is "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in \\?\Volume {VolumeID} on the protected computer <primaryDPM server>.  Recycle Bin, System Volume Information folder, non-NTFS volumes, DFS links, CDs, Quorum Disk (for cluster) and other removable media cannot be". 

I can successfully backup all other data from this primary DPM server, just not the snapshots. 

We have uninstalled the DPM agent and reinstalled, and rebooted. 

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:04 PM

Answers

• Got it figured out.  The error didn't have anything to do with the snapshot selection.  I thought I would find the snapshots under "Protected Servers" but they were actually under the Hyper Cluster. 

Jeff

Monday, May 2, 2011 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hello!
    Do you use CSV? In that case you need to copy the DataSourceGroups.xml from the primary server. Then you can drill down the cluster group on you secondary server.

Best regards

Markus Bölske, Lumagate. www.lumagate.se Blog: www.scdpm.se
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Yes, we are using CSVs for the back end Hyper Cluster storage.  I searched the primary DPM server for DataSourceGroups.xml and did not find the file.  I found the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Config\DatasourceGroupsSample.xml

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DatasourceConfig\ - in this directory are 4 hex code xml files. 

Are any of these the ones to copy?  Thanks,

Jeff

Friday, April 29, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Got it figured out.  The error didn't have anything to do with the snapshot selection.  I thought I would find the snapshots under "Protected Servers" but they were actually under the Hyper Cluster. 

Jeff

Monday, May 2, 2011 6:42 PM