none
Move/migrate DPM 2016 to new server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This question have probably been up before.

What is the best way to move/migrate a existing DPM 2016 environment to a new server?

The challenge and most important for us is that the tape information (we have 10 year long term protection) to the new server - the existing replicas can most likely stay on the old server until it expires.

The current setup is a physical DPM 2016 with UR6 - DPM have been upgrade at least once (maybe more before my time) from 2012R2 to 2016.
    Windows 2016 with the latest updates
    Local SQL 2012 SP4
    LTO6 tape device

New planned server:
    Physical Windows 2016 with the latest updates
    DPM 2016 UR6
    SQL 2016 SP2
    LTO7 tape device

The plan I have is the following

1. Stop all backup jobs
    2. Backup DPMDB
    3. Upgrade SQL on the old server to match the new server (not sure this is a necessary step)
    4. Document existing environment
    5. Shutdown the old server
    6. Reset/Remove old DPM server AD account
    7. Reconfigure/install Windows 2016 so it matches the old server (name and IP)
    8. Install amd configure local SQL server so it matches old server
    9. Install DPM 2016 UR6
    10. Restore DPM database
    11. Reboot
    12. Run dpmsync -sync
    13. Run consistency checks

Again my concerns is that the tape/protected group information will follow to the new server and also that the previous upgrade(s) of DPM wont mess up things.
    Also will there be a problem with the new larger storagepool ?

Have I missed anything or is the above a doable action plan ?

Thank you very much in  advance

• Edited by Micke68 Friday, January 25, 2019 8:44 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 8:37 AM

Answers

• Hello!

You have defined a great migration plan! Maybe just resetting the old DPM server account in the AD is safer than deleting.

The upgrade from SQL Server 2012 SP4 to SQL Server 2016 SP2 is a supported scenario so it should be fine.

If you have added new disks to the DPM's storage pool instead of moving the old ones, then run 
    dpmsync -reallocatereplica

All the tape/protection group information resides within the DPM database, so it is extremely important that you have backups of your DPM database before doing anything!

There should be no issues in having a larger storage pool, tape backups are not affected by this.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Micke68 Monday, March 25, 2019 9:10 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hello Leon,

Sorry for the late reply.

The upgrade went OK.

One thing if anyone else will try/do the same thing is that if you have upgraded your DPM installation before doing this the DPMDB will have along GUI after it.

When restoring the DB you will get permissions type of errors.

What i did was simply renamed the DB aftrer the restore to DPMDB and the errors went away.

Thanks again for the help

Kind regards

Micke

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hello!

You have defined a great migration plan! Maybe just resetting the old DPM server account in the AD is safer than deleting.

The upgrade from SQL Server 2012 SP4 to SQL Server 2016 SP2 is a supported scenario so it should be fine.

If you have added new disks to the DPM's storage pool instead of moving the old ones, then run 
    dpmsync -reallocatereplica

All the tape/protection group information resides within the DPM database, so it is extremely important that you have backups of your DPM database before doing anything!

There should be no issues in having a larger storage pool, tape backups are not affected by this.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:13 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hello!

Just checking in to see if my previous reply was of any help?

Friday, February 15, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hello Leon,

Sorry for the late reply.

The upgrade went OK.

One thing if anyone else will try/do the same thing is that if you have upgraded your DPM installation before doing this the DPMDB will have along GUI after it.

When restoring the DB you will get permissions type of errors.

What i did was simply renamed the DB aftrer the restore to DPMDB and the errors went away.

Thanks again for the help

Kind regards

Micke

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Glad to hear that, if you have any other concerns feel free to ask by opening a new thread!

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:43 AM