Links Breaking When files are moved Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem that has been on going and very intermittent.

The situation:

we have a word document template that has about 52 links from 4 different excel files embedded in it.  We use this as a template for all the information that we have to include in this report.  We know that when we copy the five files (word file and 4 excel files) that the link manager goes to the last path where the excel files resided to get the linked information.  We have writen a VB macro that will change the paths from the old location to the new location once the files have been moved.

The problem:

we are having an issue that some times (the intermittent part) when we copy all five files into a new folder location, on the same drive (i.e. drive D:\), when we open the word file all the links are broken and are unable to be updated.

I thought that this may be something to do with the auto update uppon document open feature so we turned that feature off.  This still did not help.  Also another perplexing issue is that if the file, once it has been copied to its new location, is opened on some computers in our office it is fine but others the links break.  All computers have been, to the best of my Knowledge, set up the same way.

If anyone has an suggestions on this please let me know for this has been a very time consuming problem since we have to re-link all 52 tables back into the word file for about 100 different files.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you are trying to insert links using relative paths in Word 2007, as you may have previously done in Word 2003 by using the insert link feature.

It also sounds like, in 2007, you discovered that your links were broken and may reflect an absolute path.  Is that correct?

If you check on the link **You can confirm that the path is not relative by going to Office Button : Prepare | Edit Links in File

If you are seeing a Red X with a message probably like:
    The linked image cannot be displayed.  The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.
    Verify that the link points to the correct file and location.

If I have understood your issue correctly, I think there are a few workarounds to the issue that may be beneficial:

1)Save the files,  (both Word and Excel) in the folder first before linking them.  Move the entire folder to a new location.

2) Use the DOC format: Using the DOC format in Word 2007 will allow you to have the same functionality that you had previously in Word 2003. When the document is saved in the DOC format first, anytime you add links to pictures, the links will be relative. If the document was not saved before inserting the picture links, the picture links will use absolute paths. This is how Word 2003 handled the picture links too.

3) Scripting a solution with DOCX files: Another way to work around this issue is to create scripts that can update the links to pictures in your documents. DOCX allows for greater flexibility for scripting with since it uses XML for the file format. As I showed you, you can add the.zip extension to a DOCX file and be able to look at the structure of the document. Links are stored in the document.xml file within the Word folder. This is something that would require custom scripting / code to achieve but wanted to let you know of this option.

4) Word 2010 with DOCX files: Word 2010 does not correct the problem of picture links being relative from the user interface however, Word 2010 will not convert relative links to absolute links like Word 2007 does.

For More Information:

Error message when you try to enable an Excel OLE object in a Word 2007 document: "This object is corrupt or is no longer available"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961244/

Thanks,

Susan

Microsoft Community Su

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• I found somthing today that was interesting.  We have our excel files located on a network drive with the word file that they are being linked into.  I tried to create just a blank word file with nothing in it and linked one cell to it using the paste special, paste link, and unformatted Unicode text option.  Everything is fine I even saved the blank word file with this one link in it in the same directory on the network drive as the excel file.  When I close and re-open the file the link is broken.

If I do a right click and choose object from the menu I get the error:  "This object is corrupt or is no longer available".  I am wondering what the deal is?

This is a huge problem for my business and I would be so very thankful if someone out there could help me with this problem.  This is eating up a whole lot of time having to redo 52 tables in around 133 different files because these links keep breaking on us.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:47 PM
  • It sounds like you are trying to insert links using relative paths in Word 2007, as you may have previously done in Word 2003 by using the insert link feature.

It also sounds like, in 2007, you discovered that your links were broken and may reflect an absolute path.  Is that correct?

If you check on the link **You can confirm that the path is not relative by going to Office Button : Prepare | Edit Links in File

If you are seeing a Red X with a message probably like:
    The linked image cannot be displayed.  The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.
    Verify that the link points to the correct file and location.

If I have understood your issue correctly, I think there are a few workarounds to the issue that may be beneficial:

1)Save the files,  (both Word and Excel) in the folder first before linking them.  Move the entire folder to a new location.

2) Use the DOC format: Using the DOC format in Word 2007 will allow you to have the same functionality that you had previously in Word 2003. When the document is saved in the DOC format first, anytime you add links to pictures, the links will be relative. If the document was not saved before inserting the picture links, the picture links will use absolute paths. This is how Word 2003 handled the picture links too.

3) Scripting a solution with DOCX files: Another way to work around this issue is to create scripts that can update the links to pictures in your documents. DOCX allows for greater flexibility for scripting with since it uses XML for the file format. As I showed you, you can add the.zip extension to a DOCX file and be able to look at the structure of the document. Links are stored in the document.xml file within the Word folder. This is something that would require custom scripting / code to achieve but wanted to let you know of this option.

4) Word 2010 with DOCX files: Word 2010 does not correct the problem of picture links being relative from the user interface however, Word 2010 will not convert relative links to absolute links like Word 2007 does.

For More Information:

Error message when you try to enable an Excel OLE object in a Word 2007 document: "This object is corrupt or is no longer available"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961244/

Thanks,

Susan

Microsoft Community Su

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:37 PM
  • We and our customers are having the same problem. It seems to be impossible to insert relative links in either .doc or .docx documents from Word 2010. We tried using .doc format using MS Word 2010 SP1 but it is not possiblle to use relative links there either, and .doc files would not be the way to go for the future, this is a step back in evolution.

As I understand it relative links will no longer supported by Microsoft Office. Is this correct?

I really hope You can point us to a workaround or solution, and we get relative links back, since it is so critical to be able to move a directory which may happen so often for many reasons including archiving, system/infrastructure changes or just because it is required to send documentation packages between working partners.

Thanks

Sven

Friday, October 21, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hallo, unfortunaltely we have the same problem but no solution.

Volker

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:39 PM
  • This is a problem for us too, here is the workaround we use.  It is not perfect.  I cannot guarantee that it will always work.  However, it is working well for us at the moment.  We will probably automate it by adding a macro to the template, if I can work out how (because the path is different each time).

Press Alt+F9.  This will toggle your field codes, so you can see what the path is.  It will be absolute (eg C://~~, or else //server/~~).  Copy everything in this path, up to the name of the individual graphic.

Next, Press Ctrl+H.  This will open the Find & Replace dialog.

Paste the path into the Find box.  Leave the Replace With box empty.  Click Replace All.  This will remove the path from the document.  IMPORTANT - this assumes that your .docx and your images are together in the same folder.  Modify the process if eg the images are in a subfolder.

For some reason, we end up with 2 different paths to the same location, one using a mapped network drive and one using the host name.  So we do this twice.

Please also note that there seems to be a separate bug affecting linked EPS files (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/word/thread/5f096cb6-732e-42c1-a7f8-328443c3f548).

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Good workaround slm64!

It saves some time but if it worked with MS Word 2003 why does it not with 2007? 

I have a template MS Word file .doc with 10 Excel links. When I have to use it I move the files to another folder and the links are kept but when renaming the files for the specific work the links are lost.

What bothers me is that when I had MS 2003 it worked but since moved to 2007 it does not. The workaround is good but if it worked in older versions it should do it in the newest.

Does anyone know if it is a bug or I should get used to use the workaround.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:19 AM