none
.NET Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

What is the best way of deploying 3.5, 4.5 and 4.6 to both Windows 7 and 10 machines.

With Windows 7, I downloaded the offline installers for all and added them as Applications to MDT, using silent install switches.  When trying this on Windows 10 the 3.5 install causes the Add Features thing to open asking to install 3.5.  So the 3.5 installer asks to install 3.5?!?!

I've seen the method of grabbing the 3.5 cab file from the Windows 10 media and add it as a Package to MDT and I'm just trying a deployment now.  If it works, will the same cab file work for Windows 7?  And then where can I get the cab files for both 4.5 and 4.6 Frameworks?

Thanks

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:46 AM

Answers

• If you plan on deploying 4.6 (BTW 4.6.1 is now released with 4.6.2 in Preview) there is no need to deploy 4.5 as the vast majority of code written for 4.5 should work without recompile with 4.6.

Windows 7 includes .Net 3.5.1 and Windows 10 includes 4.6

.Net 3.5 in Windows 10 is a inactive feature.  You do not INSTALL it, you activate the feature.

In MDT, you can automate this using the following steps

1) In Customsettings.ini, set the variable WindowsSource to the \sxs folder in your deployment share
       Example: WindowsSource=%DeployRoot%\Operating Systems\Windows 8\Sources\sxs

2) In your task sequence, click on Add>Roles>Install Roles and Features.  Select the OS and then click on the appropriate .Net versions

The .Net 4.6 offline installer can be downloaded from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48137

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:35 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:26 PM