SteadyState User Environment issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed SteadyState on 20 XP Pro machines in a classroom environment. This is not on a domain, only a simple workgroup. One of the students accidentally unplugged one of the computers. When it attempts to boot into XP, it get's a "User Environment" error, "Windows cannot copy file  c Big Smileocuments and Settings\Student.orig\Desktop\Typing to location c  :\ Documents and Settings \ Student.RCCSTATION7.008\Desktop\Typing"

The unit refuses to boot any further. All attempts to restart only bring me back to the same error. This is not a good thing if all the computers would loose power and get this error.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this problem?

Best Regards,
    Jerry
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Jerry,

Based on my experience, the profile still can be copied under the power unplugged accidently circs. Thus, the issue usually caused by other factors such as user account problem or corrupted folder.

From your description, it seems the temporary folder of the Student account (Student.RCCSTATION7.008) is not a standard one. When you lock the user profile, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. Thus, I suspect Student.RCCSTATION7.008 is not standard temporary folder created by SteadyState.

To resolve this issue, we can hold the Shift key when the log on window appears. This will stop the auto logon. After that, we can log on as an administrator account to perform further actions.

After entering the system, we can delete the Typing folders from both Student.orig & Student.RCCSTATION7.008 user profile.  Then Log on as Student to check the result. If the issue persists, please delete the Student.RCCSTATION7.008 folder under C:\Documents and Settings to test.  

If you would like to troubleshoot this issue further, you can check if issue also occurs on other computers. Please refer to the following threads for more suggestions on this issue:

Profile Cannot be loaded

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1920216&SiteID=69

Cannot copy document settings to desktop

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2070937&SiteID=69

If there is any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 7, 2007 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Jerry,

Based on my experience, the profile still can be copied under the power unplugged accidently circs. Thus, the issue usually caused by other factors such as user account problem or corrupted folder.

From your description, it seems the temporary folder of the Student account (Student.RCCSTATION7.008) is not a standard one. When you lock the user profile, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig. When the locked user logs on, a temporary profile with the same user name will be created based on the locked profile. Thus, I suspect Student.RCCSTATION7.008 is not standard temporary folder created by SteadyState.

To resolve this issue, we can hold the Shift key when the log on window appears. This will stop the auto logon. After that, we can log on as an administrator account to perform further actions.

After entering the system, we can delete the Typing folders from both Student.orig & Student.RCCSTATION7.008 user profile.  Then Log on as Student to check the result. If the issue persists, please delete the Student.RCCSTATION7.008 folder under C:\Documents and Settings to test.  

If you would like to troubleshoot this issue further, you can check if issue also occurs on other computers. Please refer to the following threads for more suggestions on this issue:

Profile Cannot be loaded

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1920216&SiteID=69

Cannot copy document settings to desktop

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2070937&SiteID=69

If there is any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 7, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Thank you for your response. If this happens again (and hopefully it won't) I will know what to look for.

Best regards,
    Jerry
    Friday, September 7, 2007 1:00 PM