none
Reinstall the OS drive without formatting the D drive which is bitlocker encrypted

Question

• Dear All,

I want to ask if any Microsoft forum or technet mentioned that

Step 1: reinstall the OS drive without formatting the D data drive which is bitlocker encrypted.

Step 2: After encypted OS drive again, the D data drive can be automatically unlocked by reset the password.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to decrypt the D data drive before you reinstall the OS drive. Otherwise, you'll won't be able to access any of your data since it will remain encrypted forever.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi Ray CHEUNG_789,

According to your description, I suggest that we could check the link below about HowTo: Reinstalling Windows on a BitLocker encrypted system.

http://www.jeroentielen.nl/howto-reinstalling-windows-on-a-bitlocker-encrypted-system/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

We’d better back up the recovery key.

If you want to reinstall the other Windows, it could not be accessed.

For your data security, I suggest that we’d better unlock the drive first.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:41 AM
  • After reinstalling, you double click the d: drive and it will require the recovery key to access it. Afterwards, you can bitlock c: and after that, set d: to autounlock on that system.

Be aware that you can retrieve the recovery key for d: now simply by using this command on an elevated command prompt:

manage-bde -protectors -get d:

• Edited by Ronald Schilf Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ronald Schilf Monday, February 06, 2017 8:02 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Hi Ray,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 04, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Carey, you marked an answer that is not correct. The recovery key can be retriedved at any time and no decryption is needed, see my guidance. Please read other comments before deciding what is a solution.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 7:43 AM