none
Migrate hote server (virtualization server) from win srv 2008R2 to 2012R2

Question

• Hello,

I have a windows server 2008R2 with virtualization Role installed, containing two VM (TMG server, and DC server).

I want to migrate this hote server to windows server2012R2.

Can i do this without risk for the VMs?

What is the best procedure?

Many thank's

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:18 AM

All replies

• For the domain controller the safest / simplest method is to use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new guest on 2012 R2, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

For the other one you can copy the VHD to new server then create a new VM with same properties as on 2008 then at Connect Virtual Hard Disk step point "Use existing" to your VHD

Also note it is recommended to always have at least two domain controllers (on different hosts) for high availability and disaster mitigation.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

Use live migration without Failover Clustering to move a virtual machine:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/use-live-migration-without-failover-clustering-to-move-a-virtual-machine

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 7:41 AM
  • thank's for your answer, but i want to migrate the hote server from windows server 2008R2 to windows server 2012R2, not the vm machines.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:57 AM
  • i wont use live migration, i want to migrate the hote server from windows server 2008R2 to windows server 2012R2
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:59 AM
  • thank's for your answer, but i want to migrate the hote server from windows server 2008R2 to windows server 2012R2, not the vm machines.

Personally I'd backup the VMs, clean install it, patch it fully, add Hyper-V role, restore VMs.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:23 PM
  • many thank's

Sunday, July 1, 2018 2:12 PM
  • You're welcome. Please don't forget to mark answers.

Sunday, July 1, 2018 2:16 PM