none
EPM 2003 and SQL 2005 cube issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m having issues on a client that uses Project Server 2003 with SQL Server 2005.

I do not have access to the historic changes on the system, I found this already as I’m going to describe.

The system is a SBS 2003, has ISA Service, exchange service, AD, service, etc running and has Project Server 2003 installed working with SQL Server 2005 in the same machine.

When I try to access the “Analyze resources in Portfolio Analyzer” in PWA, I get the following message:

Unable to access the Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Analyzer OLAP cube.

The cube may not exist, or you may not have permissions to access the cube.

The cube is being built. I can build the cube from SQL Server 2005 or from the Admin page of Project Server 2003.

Already tried the following:

-IE settings to allow database connection and user authentication

-Added all users to the security roles in MS OLap Users

-Added a role in the cube to allow everyone to access the cube

And still nothing.

This happens with all users.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JoaoCostaPT,

A couple of troubleshooting steps to try.  Can you connect from the server itself?  If so then perhaps it is a firewall setting.  Can you connect remotely using Excel to get a connection directly to the cube?  If so then this might indicate an IE setting issue - such as  Access Data Sources Across Domains not being enabled.

And perhaps this should have been the first step - can you create new portfolio analyzer reports against the server?  Is this just an issue with Analyze Resources?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:55 PM
    Owner
  • Hi JoaoCostPT,

I would also add to see if some of SSAS works when logged onto the server.   The SBS server has a lot of hooks into the OS and group policies that make it a little harder to implement.

I am assuming that you are running Project Server on the SBS and that you installed a new instance of SQL and SSAS on the SBS and didn't install using SBS default instance.  Are the service accounts part of SBS OU or  are they in their own OU.

I had a similiar setup in years past. My strategy to getting it to work, would be first to see if I can get it working from the SBS server.. You may want to be sure that site is trusted, that IE browser doesn't need to go through ISA.  Once that is working, I would see if I can get it working on work stations.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:49 PM