Want to make sure that WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console is completely uninstalled RRS feed

• Question

• Thought that I had uninstalled WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console from my Win 10 machine so that I could run a feature update, but now it appears that it never got completely uninstalled. Did the uninstall with the normal Control Panel tool, and also ran an msiexec command, but when I go back and try to run the feature update (to go from 1607 to 1709), still get error about needing to uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console. Do I need to try to clean more parts of it out of the registry? Thanks, SC
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:37 PM

Answers

• SOLVED. Looked in the XML code in some files with "APPRAISER" in their name which were in \Windows\Panther\ and learned that I still had a folder under \ProgramFiles\ called \Update Services\ which contained folders, executables, junk, etc., from the old WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console Client. These apparently had never been cleaned up by both my Control Panel and msiexec attempts to uninstall it. I also remember searching for "wus" instead of "wsus" to find some things (I think that this is because it was an old name of WSUS). Thanks everyone for reading.
    • Marked as answer by SteveCRO2 Monday, March 26, 2018 4:29 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

What's the exact error messages?  Is it available to download Windows 10 Update Assistant and install it manually?

According to my know, we can't install WSUS on Windows 10 client machine. When we install it, we will get compatibility error message. 

How did you install WSUS on your client machine? Do you mean you want to remove the configuration about WSUS client?

If you want to change from WSUS to Windows update feature, we could edit the following resigtry.

Computer\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

UseWUServer=0

If you don't want to use other AU settings, you can also delete the registry keys in AU. Then we could run command line "net stop wuauserv" and "net start wuauserv" to restart Windows update service.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Hello Joy-Qiao,

First of all, thanks for answering, and my machine still downloads its regular updates from my WSUS server all right. No problem (yet! :-) ) there, and problem is only with trying to get a 1709 feature upgrade to work. Currently still on 1607.

The error message is usually a big bright blue "Something went wrong" with the 1900200 error. Machine has been attempting feature upgrade every day. Sometimes it's a smaller purple box that tells me that process stopped and I have to manually uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console client and try again.

Machine had WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console client on it from back when it was Win 7. Has since been converted/upgraded to Win 10. Never bothered me until it was time to do 1709 feature upgrade.

Upgrade did not happen from WSUS (although server is 2012 and has WSUS 6.2 on it -- but that's another WSUS question for later, as our shop has very few Win 10 machines right now). I administer our WSUS. (Co-workers in IT Dept. who never had the Console client have had their feature upgrades work successfully (wherever the upgrade came from -- from my WSUS or directly from Microsoft -- I'm not sure).

In my case, also the Win 10 Update Assistant (which somehow appeared and started running every day on my machine) (and since then I've re-downloaded it, too) wouldn't work (maybe now it's trying to download 1709 directly from Microsoft?). It's saying that it wouldn't work because I still had the WSUS Console Client on my machine.

I've already removed the client using Control Panel. I also found online an "msiexec /x" command to run to remove it, which finished, but something still thinks that it's in my machine.

Right now I'd be happy if I could just get the Update Assistant to do the upgrade, and I'll check out if there's anything wrong with my WSUS on the server later. (That might be doing its job (or trying to) just fine.)

Thanks again!

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Hi again,

Daily run just finished again, and error was actually 0xc1900208 . I'm sorry for any confusion, thanks again, SC

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:21 PM
  • SOLVED. Looked in the XML code in some files with "APPRAISER" in their name which were in \Windows\Panther\ and learned that I still had a folder under \ProgramFiles\ called \Update Services\ which contained folders, executables, junk, etc., from the old WSUS 3.0 SP2 Console Client. These apparently had never been cleaned up by both my Control Panel and msiexec attempts to uninstall it. I also remember searching for "wus" instead of "wsus" to find some things (I think that this is because it was an old name of WSUS). Thanks everyone for reading.
    • Marked as answer by SteveCRO2 Monday, March 26, 2018 4:29 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Take the msiexec command from page 2 here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-remove-wsus-30-sp2-console-from-win-10/0270131b-747e-4500-ab00-1167f814b6d7 , then manually delete the remainder of "C:\Program Files\Update Services". Beware that when using cmd.exe or PowerShell it must be elevated and for PowerShell the GUID needs to be quoted due to the curly braces.

This is the cleanest way to do it in my view.

Preventing link rot/making your life easier:

msiexec /x {77846B52-14C9-4FC4-BE63-FE06AF501442}

(the Product Code could be recovered from the WusSetup.msi in the "Update Services" folder using the Orca MSI Tool)

Friday, June 28, 2019 3:26 PM