Drive mapping has red X and says FAT below it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of my users has a mapped drive in Windows explorer that is mapped to a SharePoint folder.

The drive mapping appears with a red X on it as if it's not connected and says FAT below it. Other than that it appears to function correctly. Is there any issue here or can somebody please explain what this means?

Oh, we're using WSS 3.0.

Cheers

Paul

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:02 PM

Answers

• FAT refers to the File Allocation Drive and doesn't really matter for the purpose of mapped drives. 

I've recreated the issue you mention and have tried double clicking the mapped drive.  My desktop thought about it for a second and then let me in.  So long as the permissions on the end site are fine for the user and the same credentials were used in the drive mapping, it should work.

• Marked as answer by runnerpaul Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:49 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• FAT refers to the File Allocation Drive and doesn't really matter for the purpose of mapped drives. 

I've recreated the issue you mention and have tried double clicking the mapped drive.  My desktop thought about it for a second and then let me in.  So long as the permissions on the end site are fine for the user and the same credentials were used in the drive mapping, it should work.

• Marked as answer by runnerpaul Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Thnaks Steven. Seems to work OK.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:35 PM