Question about Excel 2010 and .xlk files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all

In our Domain we have a file server.
    If i create a new .xlsx file and check "Always create backup" in Save as -> Tools -> General Options
    When i save it localy work without issues
    When the same file save it in a map drive in our file server  THEN excel also create an .xlk file with 0 size.

Can anyone verify this or know why this happens???

Friday, July 10, 2020 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Vagelisr,

Is there any error message when you save files to a mapped driver?

I suggest you use UNC path instead of browsing the mapped drive directly to save files .

It's best to check whether the backup files for other Office applications could be created correctly. 

Besides, please check whether there is security software that blocks files with .xlk format. 

If you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Emily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, July 13, 2020 5:54 AM
  • Hi Emily.

First of all thanks for your reply.

Is there any error message when you save files to a mapped driver?
    No. Not at all. Just create an xlk file with 0 size.
    Same computer, same path with Excel 2003 works like a charm.

I suggest you use UNC path instead of browsing the mapped drive directly to save files .
    Same problem also when i use the UNC path

Besides, please check whether there is security software that blocks files with .xlk format.
    No Not at all. As i told you with Excel 2003 working perfect

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Hi Vagelisr,

Thanks for your reply.

I made a test on my environment with Microsoft 365, and I find every time you make a change in the original spreadsheet and save it, the backup file will be updated and it reflects your spreadsheet before that last save.

For example, when I first save my worksheet, the backup file is 0 KB not 9 KB.

But when I edit and save the spreadsheet for the second time, the backup file will show the the original spreadsheet.

So, I suggest you edit the file and save again to check your issue.

This “Excel IT Pro Discussions” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Emily

"Office" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know.

Regards,

Emily

We invite you to post new questions in the "Office" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. 

To help close this thread, would you please mark the replies as answers if they are helpful? Your action would also help other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Emily

Monday, July 27, 2020 9:01 AM