Regd sql installation in sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am installing a standalone version of SharePoint 2007  on windows server 2008 R2 sp1.

My version of SP 2007 is service pack 2.

When I  look at the pre-requisites some sites tell that MS SQL server is one while others it is not a pre-requisite.

So after taking care of basic pre-requisites like OS,NET framework and asp.net version I started installing.

Towards the end of the installation it came up with an message to install service pack 3(sp3) of MS SQL Server 2005.

In this regards I have the following questions:

1) There are 3 versions of sp3 as given in this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14752

When I look at the sql server configuration manager I find that network configurations are 32-bit whereas sp 2007 is 64-bit on 64-bit OS.

Why 64-bit sp2007 is installing 32-bit SQL server 2005?

Which sp3 version of SQL Server 2005  should I install?

2) If I had a pre-installed instance of Sql Server 2008 R2 would sp2007 use this installed Db or would it still create an instance of MS Sql 2005?

3) sp2007 install express edition of Sql Server 2005.Would it result in reduced functionality?

Is it better to pre-install a higher version of MS Sql server  like standard or enterprise and then install sp

2007?

Thanks for your efforts.

Today's knowledge is too little for tomorrow's job

Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:50 PM

All replies

• If you are doing a standalone installation SharePoint 2007 will install SQL express during the installation.  So in that case SQL is not required.  You only need to pre-install SQL if you are doing a farm installation.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by Ivan Sanders Sunday, December 23, 2012 10:43 AM
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

1)Why 64-bit sp2007 is installing 32-bit SQL server 2005?Will not create problems later.

2) Which sp3 package should be installed?

Today's knowledge is too little for tomorrow's job

Friday, December 21, 2012 6:11 PM