Configure a user a dedicated Exchange Server Outgoing mail RRS feed

• Question

• We have set up  2 Exchange servers 2013 (CU13) with Windows Server 2012 (is not R2), we have enabled DAG in between them.

The objective is to route all mail from from Server1, and user Server2 only for a specific user that does Mass Mailing marketing Campaigns.

We have looked a several solutions from the creation of Send Connects and server configurations but unable to find a suitable solution.

I will appreciate all the tips/help that i get.

Thanks in advance!

MS

Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:18 PM

Answers

• So you want all emails sent by everyone besides this one user to go out through one server, then all sent by him/her to go out through the other?  What do you do if one of the servers is down - does all the email queue in the environment until that server comes back online?  Also, you say you want this person to send all email out through this other server, but only when the person is doing mass-mailings.  Will that mailbox be used for anything else?  If so, how do you intend to keep the mass marketing separate from the "normal email"?

Here's possible solution for some of your problem - put the second server in a different Windows site, have the mailbox that does the mass mailings on a database on that server, and set both systems to only handle email from their site.  And I say "possible" because I don't know if Exchange 2013 works in the same manner - I know this option was available in earlier versions.  Additionally, it won't allow the mailbox to be used for normal mail going through Server1 - all mail from this mailbox is going out Server2.

If you truly want this to work, I'd suggest setting up a Windows server with the SMTP stack, then, instead of using Outlook for these mass mailings, use PowerShell and Send-MailMessage on the local server.  This system would be the "Server2" in the question above, and "Server1" would be the Exchange systems. And if you need copies of the messages being sent, add the mailbox you want them in to the Bcc line of the Send-MailMessage command.  (I'd add a receive connector to your Exchange environment so the messages to that mailbox can be delivered directly.)  For more information on this, see the following:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849925.aspx  This solution would serve all your requirements, and give you a way to handle the traffic without making this mailbox blocked for any other use.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, October 7, 2016 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, October 21, 2016 9:09 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:56 PM

All replies

• So you want all emails sent by everyone besides this one user to go out through one server, then all sent by him/her to go out through the other?  What do you do if one of the servers is down - does all the email queue in the environment until that server comes back online?  Also, you say you want this person to send all email out through this other server, but only when the person is doing mass-mailings.  Will that mailbox be used for anything else?  If so, how do you intend to keep the mass marketing separate from the "normal email"?

Here's possible solution for some of your problem - put the second server in a different Windows site, have the mailbox that does the mass mailings on a database on that server, and set both systems to only handle email from their site.  And I say "possible" because I don't know if Exchange 2013 works in the same manner - I know this option was available in earlier versions.  Additionally, it won't allow the mailbox to be used for normal mail going through Server1 - all mail from this mailbox is going out Server2.

If you truly want this to work, I'd suggest setting up a Windows server with the SMTP stack, then, instead of using Outlook for these mass mailings, use PowerShell and Send-MailMessage on the local server.  This system would be the "Server2" in the question above, and "Server1" would be the Exchange systems. And if you need copies of the messages being sent, add the mailbox you want them in to the Bcc line of the Send-MailMessage command.  (I'd add a receive connector to your Exchange environment so the messages to that mailbox can be delivered directly.)  For more information on this, see the following:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849925.aspx  This solution would serve all your requirements, and give you a way to handle the traffic without making this mailbox blocked for any other use.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, October 7, 2016 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, October 21, 2016 9:09 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:56 PM
  • To answer your initial questions:

If a server is down the send connector should have both of the servers available to be able to send mail.

The user will only be used for Mass Mailing, and even if is not, all mail send from this user it should be sent via Server2.

I didn’t understand your question about “If so, how do you intend to keep the mass marketing separate from the "normal email"?”. The mass marketing emails are normal emails, its just that we don’t want to affect the resources from the internet connection and server that Server1 uses. (By internet connection I mean, server2 is skipping a Web Gateway solucion, and Firewall since are controlled emails and should not be scanned)

I have already looked at the possibility of creating a Sencondary Site to assign to Server2, but It didn’t convence me as a solution.

Also about sending mail via PowerShell, shoundt I have a connector to route the traffic, if I set up a connector to port 25 with scope *, since it would be to all different domains, this is going to conflict with the connector of Server1 which is the same.

I was looking more of the type of option that I have seen somewhere to create a custom Transport Agent.

Regards,

EP

Friday, October 7, 2016 12:51 PM
  • My second solution is meant to NOT deliver through Exchange - you send directly from the Windows SMTP server to the Internet.

As for the question about normal email - you said this account was only used for bulk emails, so that's the answer.

Will Martin ...

Friday, October 7, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Hi Ep,

If the normal users and specific user are in same server it's hard to achieve that.

If they are in different server you can set the separate send connector for the servers.

BR.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:45 AM
  • i do have two separate servers, one for all users and one for mass mailing user. 
    Friday, November 4, 2016 7:23 PM