Windows Server Licenses and CALs for SfB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, this might be a trivial question but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.  In a SfB Server premise deployment I understand the need for the SfB Server License on the FE's and then appropriate CALs based on feature need.  I also understand needing a Windows Server 2012/2016 appropriate license.  What I am trying to confirm is whether or not I need Windows Server CALs (User or Device) on top of all these other licenses?  If so, does this apply to all the windows servers in use in my deployment including edge?  Thanks.
    Friday, December 16, 2016 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hello, this might be a trivial question but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.  In a SfB Server premise deployment I understand the need for the SfB Server License on the FE's and then appropriate CALs based on feature need.  I also understand needing a Windows Server 2012/2016 appropriate license.  What I am trying to confirm is whether or not I need Windows Server CALs (User or Device) on top of all these other licenses?  If so, does this apply to all the windows servers in use in my deployment including edge?  Thanks.

A "Windows Server User Cal" is one license per employee within the organization, so you only need to buy it once per employee. If you are running Active Directory, then you probably (should!) have User CALs already purchased for your employees.   Device CALs are typically only used when you have shared devices in the organization, such as shift workers.

All non-FE roles do not need any licenses.  Also, external non-employee users (e.g. contractors, anonymous users) do not need any licensing with SfB.

Hope this helps.

Phil

• Edited by GrandmasterPhil Friday, December 16, 2016 10:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, December 19, 2016 2:07 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 10:41 PM
  • Hi kb801,

Welcome to our forum.     

To this issue about license, we suggest you phone to our customizer services by the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Thanks for understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, December 19, 2016 2:07 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 3:15 AM