none
Project Pro 2013 - Number Field Issue with rounding or calculation RRS feed

• Question

• We have an issue with either a Number Field that has changed or with a Formula. The client upgrade from 2007 to 2013 and now we have this issue.

One can see the differences between the 2007 environment and the 2013 environment highlighted in yellow. I suspect it might be the margin field that does not allow more than 2 decimals.

So I did some more tests, if I use excel to calculate the difference is in the fact that 2013 Rounds the Number field and discards the rest of the value, where in 2007 the full Number value has been used.

Would appreciate your feedback on how to get this resolved.

Andre

http://av-epm.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Andre,

Since nobody has jumped in, can you repost your screenshots? We cannot see them so it is hard to understand well your concern.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, November 24, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hi There,

Thanks for your reply. See attached screenshot

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:57 AM
  • Thanks Andre for posting again the screenshot.

I don't have 2013 right now, but can you anyway give us the formula of your calculated fields so we can try to reproduce it?

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:10 PM
  • In addition to my reply, I just did a test with Project Pro 2010 and it also seems to round the number field to 2 decimal.

But here is an interesting thing. With a number field, I can reproduce your issue. I type 0,12345 than it is rounded to 0,12 so if I have a formula equal to 1000*number, than I get 120.

But if I type 0,12345 in a text field, then it is obviously not rounded and I can create a formula on a text field, meaning that the same formula with the text field will return 123,45.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your assistance thus far.

I tried this but cannot seem to create a Formula using text field in 2013. Could you confirm if that is the case or if I am doing something wrong.

Also keep in mind the Margin field is used in another formula to do a calculation, so not sure if a text field will work at all. Here is a sample of the formula :

IIf([Margin-Markup] = "Margin", Switch([Margin] < 1 And [Margin] > -1, (IIf([Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Annuity" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Product" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Services" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Travel", (([External Cost and Risk] / (1 - [Margin])) - [External Cost and Risk]), IIf([Income or Cost Type] = "Manpower" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "Sales Manpower", ([Cost] / (1 - [Margin])) - [Cost], 0)))), IIf([Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Annuity" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Product" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "External Cost.Services", [External Cost and Risk] * [Markup], IIf([Income or Cost Type] = "Manpower" Or [Income or Cost Type] = "Sales Manpower", [Cost] * [Markup], 0)))

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi Andre,

I just successfully tested with 2 task text custom fields with formulas with a Project Online instance. I could create:

• A text field (test) equal to [total slack]
    • A text field (test2) equal to [test]*10.

Thus I would conclude that it is working well. Do you have any error message? What is the unexpected behavior?

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:45 PM