Creating Assignment Groups and Assigned Users RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to Create Assignment Groups in SCSM that contain Assigned Support Personnel?  I am evaluating this Software against other IT Service Management products and this functionality exists in products.  Further, we have a requirement to auto-assign (to Groups/Support Personnel) incidents based on incident category/customer location.  Have also not found how this can be accomplished.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• The approach that Andreas describes here is the one that I recommend to customers.  Many of the incidents that analysts need to create a repetitive - using templates in this case can fill in many of the fields in the form including support group and assigned user/group in a single motion vs. having to fill out the form field by field.

The same concept of applying templates is how you classify and route things automatically using incident workflow rules - basically the pattern is this:

1) Establish criteria (e.g. new incidents where the classification = "printing")

2) Choose which template to apply (e.g. "PrintingIncident" which sets the support group = 'Printing Team', assigned to = 'Bob', relates the 'Printing' service to the incident, urgency = medium, impact = low, etc.)

3) Optionally, choose to notify related users (e.g. send an acknowledgement email to the affected user, send a "heads up" email to the assigned to user, etc.)

Personally, I think this approach is at least as efficient as the select a support group -> select a user approach used by other systems.  This approach also ensures consistency.  Each time the template is applied the exact same values are applied and they are not up to the analyst's discretion or require "tribal knowledge" about who the right person is.  If the process needs to change it is simply a matter of changing a value in a template so that going forward when it is applied either in a workflow or manually by an analyst the new value(s) are used.

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi

First - You can create groups, but what do you want to accomplish with the group of "Assigned Support Pe...."?
    Service Manager can probably accomplish what you want, but to make sure. Download the AdminGuide from the link below and read from page 102.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=37887BBA-D26A-427F-896D-883E5868BBFE&displaylang=en&displaylang=en#filelist

Regarding auto-assigning incidents this can be done by configuring incident workflows directly in the console. By triggering a workflow when an incident is created, fullfilling certaincriterias like a specific category, you can apply a template that assigns the incident to suitible target.

Patrik Sundqvist Solutions Architect @ Atea Spintop http://blogs.litware.se
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:52 PM
  • In other ITSM products, you can create a list of Assigned Technicians based on the selected Resolution Group (To narrow the list from the entire Global Catalog).

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Maybe I don't understand you correctly, but you can assign an incident to active directory groups, does this fullfill your needs?

If you want to be able to see appropriate users to assign to an incident based on group membership (service manager group or active directory group), then you would create a custom task for this. This isn't provided out of the box but can be added as a customization.

Patrik Sundqvist Solutions Architect @ Atea Spintop http://blogs.litware.se
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Maybe one possible option could be:

• Create groups in AD and put the related users in the group (for instance Network-Admins, Exchange-Admins, ....)
    • Create appropriate incident classfications (e.g. Network-Problem, Mailserver-Problem, ...)
    • Create incident templates. For instance Network Problem Template, Mailserver-Problem and use the related group (Network-Admins, Exchange.Admins) as the assigned user
    • Create a workflow in the console "if incident is created and incident categorie = Network-Problem apply Network Problem Template (the Network-Admins will be the assigned User after the workflow is done in this incident)
    • Create related views. E.g. "All Open Network Problems". Criteria should be assigned User = "Network-Admins" or another criteria could be "incident classification" = "Network-Problem"

(no coding needed for all the steps so far)

After this you will have:

• Automatically filled in the related group in an incident as the assigned user
    • Automatically all incidents sorted in a view in the console related to the classification or assigned user (group)
    • Easy way for the support personnal to find the open incidents they have to work on

Maybe this is what you are looking for? If not maybe you can name the "other products" to get an imagination about what's behind the "assigment groups".

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:44 PM
  • The approach that Andreas describes here is the one that I recommend to customers.  Many of the incidents that analysts need to create a repetitive - using templates in this case can fill in many of the fields in the form including support group and assigned user/group in a single motion vs. having to fill out the form field by field.

The same concept of applying templates is how you classify and route things automatically using incident workflow rules - basically the pattern is this:

1) Establish criteria (e.g. new incidents where the classification = "printing")

2) Choose which template to apply (e.g. "PrintingIncident" which sets the support group = 'Printing Team', assigned to = 'Bob', relates the 'Printing' service to the incident, urgency = medium, impact = low, etc.)

3) Optionally, choose to notify related users (e.g. send an acknowledgement email to the affected user, send a "heads up" email to the assigned to user, etc.)

Personally, I think this approach is at least as efficient as the select a support group -> select a user approach used by other systems.  This approach also ensures consistency.  Each time the template is applied the exact same values are applied and they are not up to the analyst's discretion or require "tribal knowledge" about who the right person is.  If the process needs to change it is simply a matter of changing a value in a template so that going forward when it is applied either in a workflow or manually by an analyst the new value(s) are used.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Travis,

Thank you for your reply.  I understand your approach.  However...

What if you have several "Tiers" of Classification resulting in hundreds of Classifications.

Do I need to create hundreds of templates?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Can you please provide a portion of your classification hierarchy as an example?  Maybe we can break this down into something more straightforward.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Haven't heard back from you on this so marking the post above as the answer.  If you need more help please unmark the past as the answer and let us know what you need.
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I found very usefull your disccusion however I have one question. Should i build the groups in AD so i can assign incindent to them? For example i need messaging group of resorces where there are 3 tiers of resource. Should i build AD groups as well for the tiers and how is this connected to SCSM library groups??

Thx,

Daniela

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:30 PM
  • I would recommend AD groups:

• You can create distribution lists in Exchange related to the AD groups for notification
    • You also can use the AD groups to controll the acces or permissions
    • If you create the groups in AD they will be updated via AD Connector in SCSM

Goups in the Library of SCSM I would use to bundle CIs, e.g. computers, servers, printers something like this, e.g. Group "All Exchange Servers" or "All SQL Server Servers".

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Thx a lot Andreas,

So i will build the Groups of CIs and I can use them for ex. to add them as service coponents right?!

When i try to do this now, to add a component to a service there are pre defined groups like Computer Group, Website Component group and when i try to add item in this group by default configuration items class is shown and all CIs are listed. If I try to filter items by class for ex. database etc there are no configuration items. My question is How do i populate this groups with CIs? With some of the connectors or with creating groups of CIs?

I hope i am clear enough.

Daniela

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:47 AM
  • E.g. SQL Databases are created by the Ops Manager CI Connector. For that you need to import all related Management Packs from Ops Manager in SCSM. After import just check if the Ops Manager CI Connector is syncing all the Management Packs.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Friday, November 12, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Hi Travis,

I have a question about Service manager and I believe you could help me, I'd like to know how to create a template when I can assign a specific person to an incident or problem, but this person must be obtained from active directory, how can I do that?

TKS

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:05 AM
  • The way it works in SCSM is that you sync in uses from AD to SCSM via the AD-SCSM connector.  Then you can add those usesrs to the templates.

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Monday, May 16, 2011 11:44 PM